Why Am I Always In Such A Rush?

Why I Am Always In Such A Rush?

I feel as though for the last four years I have spent my life in a complete whirlwind. I genuinely feel like I don’t stop. Mentally and physically I am always in a rush.

I don’t think I’ve always been like it. Not that I can remember much of life pre-child (tell me other Mums feel the same!). But I’m sure I didn’t feel like I was constantly in a battle against the clock from morning until night.

Now don’t get me wrong. This isn’t necessarily about my lack of organisation skills and for example – getting somewhere on time (although I’m pretty bad at that, always have been!). This is about me feeling in a rush in my head. I swear, it’s the pressure I put myself under, mentally.

Since the day I was handed my baby, a little over four years and three months ago, I have been watching the clock. It starts with the feeds. Then the naps. Then how many hours they are sleeping through. Then what time I need to get up to get us both out of the door in the morning. Then getting to work on time. Then making sure I get all of my work done in the three and half hours I have before making sure I get home on time to be there to pick the little man up from whichever grandparent he is at. Then later making sure he’s eaten on time so he can have a bath on time so he can be in bed on time.

It’s exhausting just thinking about it. In the evenings when I have the time to get the laptop on, I feel like I am still rushing to get blogging tasks done. Link up posts to linkys. Comment on other blog posts. Write my blog posts. Sort out all of the images. Schedule social media. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not complaining about these tasks because I love blogging, I really do. It’s just these tasks add to the constant clutter in my brain that works alongside the ticking of the clock.

Why I Am I Always In Such A Rush?

The time that this happens that irritates me the most is when I have a trip out of the house without my Little Man. I may be popping to town to get my nails done or get a bit of shopping. The little fella is safe at home with is Dad and yet still I feel like I am in a rush to get home. It’s like it is engrained in me psychologically and I can’t for the life of me escape it.

I can be sat writing a blog post and I am rushing to get the words typed out before I forget where I’m going with it. Desperate to get the post draft written so I can concentrate on making the necessary tweaks and amendments until I’m happy with it.

The ridiculous thing is – none of these things that I am rushing to get done, or getting myself in a tizz over is a matter of life and death. They are really trivial when I think about it. Nobody is saying to me that I have to be home by a certain time (in most cases). It’s me that seems to be psychologically torturing myself into thinking that I have to be. Even though I know everything is fine without me and that in all honesty – I deserve that break.

I’m not sure what the answer is and I’m not sure if I can change. It feels like it’s the way I’m programmed and wired. And can that really be changed? Because after all, how can you change who you are? And if I could, would I want to? Does this not make me the person that I am today? The Mum that I am today? It’s a tough one.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’ve typed this post that fast I need to go back and correct all the typos.

How about you, are you always in a rush or are you the total opposite? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

55 Comment

1. Reply
    Surrey Mama
    3rd April 2017 at 9:49 pm

This. is. me! I could have written this, I spend my life in a frantic rush and don’t ever stop. I personally think in my case I crave the rush and the adrenaline that comes with rushing around with a purpose. I had flu when I was pregnant with my second and was very poorly, I was in bed, literally in bed and couldn’t move for two weeks and I realised then that I could sit down, life would go on, my daughter survived so there is definitely a bit of me brining the rush into my life. 🙂 #marvmondays

2. Reply
    Sam - StressyMama
    4th April 2017 at 8:46 am

Did you write this about me? You could have. My brain always seems to be working overtime, never giving me a break. I love the thing about our brains being like a browser with thousands of tabs open. If you discover the answer please please please let me know.. haha #TriumphantTales

3. Reply
    Amy @ Arty apple
    4th April 2017 at 8:50 am

OMG, I can relate to this post so much. You hit the nail on the head about even when you’re not with the kids and there’s actually no need to be in a rush, but yet still clock watching. That is totally me! I’m always thinking what time I’ll be back in the house to do XYZ before school pick up or whatever. I can’t see me ever snapping out of it now x

4. Reply
    chickenruby
    4th April 2017 at 9:06 am

the kids have all left home and i’m even more in a rush these days as I leave everything to the last minute, I was much better organised when I had other children to worry about #triumphanttales

5. Reply
    Laurie Girl & Tonic
    4th April 2017 at 9:25 am

This is me and I don’t even have babies! I spend my life being in a rush, and struggling to keep up. I am in awe of you and all the other mummy’s who do it so well. #TriumphantTales

6. Reply
    Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...
    4th April 2017 at 10:52 am

There are not enough hours in the day. 3 kids, 3 jobs, housework, my blog (can I count that as a job too? 🙂 ) I rush all the time and have piles of lists to make sure nothing gets missed #triumphanttales

7. Reply
    collette Dunn
    4th April 2017 at 11:33 am

Yes, this sums my life up totally! Always in a rush, having 4 children has meant I’ve developed the role of PA to them all. My 16 year old is the worst at needing me to organise his life! #Triumphanttales

8. Reply
    The Tale of Mummyhood
    4th April 2017 at 1:02 pm

I can totally relate to this. With the kids, work and blogging my brain is constantly on the go. Maybe it’s time for a spa day?! #TriumphantTales

9. Reply
    MomOfTwoLittleGirls
    4th April 2017 at 1:52 pm

Agreed. The worst part for me is that I end up projecting this rush for things on to the kids. They never actually move fast enough. Then after I’ve yelled at them to ‘hurry up’ for the 100th time in 5 minutes, and start feeling awful I think to myself, “Why exactly am I rushing? Really? So we get to school 5 minutes later than planned but so what.”. I have no patience what so ever.
    #triumphanttales

10. Reply
    jeremy@thirstydaddy
    4th April 2017 at 2:30 pm

I completely understand this feeling. ( I actually had to skip your linky today because I’m so far behind commenting on others. Be back next week ) #anythinggoes

11. Reply
    Francesca
    4th April 2017 at 3:18 pm

This is absolutely me! In particular when I am out without them and as you, I feel like I am in a rush to get home. Or when I go shopping and I take the elevator as well. We are mum and we are learning this job every day. But we need also a lot of training as well! X

12. Reply
    Brittany | A Mindful Geek
    4th April 2017 at 4:47 pm

We need breaks that is for sure. I feel like this a lot of the times. I barely ever feel like I get a time to just slow down. And it seems like ever since my daughter was born that time just goes by too fast. We gotta find time to just slow it down and as they say “smell the roses.” #TriumphantTales

13. Reply
    Nige
    4th April 2017 at 5:56 pm

This is me always on the go I guess it’s Children and the pace of life is so fast nowadays thanks for hosting triumphanttales

14. Reply
    Ali Duke
    4th April 2017 at 9:22 pm

I am definitely like this at times. I think this is programmed into us as mum’s. We need to slow down sometimes but it is hard.

15. Reply
    Sarah
    4th April 2017 at 10:07 pm

Oh lovely. This is literally me, word for word. I rush through everyday wondering why I never sit down or take a breather. Literally right now, the little ones are in bed and im working my way through my to do list, rushing before I can go to bed too!

16. Reply
    Lexie @mommyhomemanager.com
    4th April 2017 at 10:27 pm

Being organized and planning things in advance definitely helps me to stay calm and feel efficient…. but then the minute that I am about to walk out the door, my son spits up on my comforter or I realize that he doesn’t have a nuk.

Also, #mombrain makes it so hard to finish one task before moving on to the next when I am rushing around in the morning. Please tell me that I am not the only one!

#twinklytuesday

17. Reply
    natalie
    4th April 2017 at 10:34 pm

Oh I am the same and it drives me mad! I am always rushing all the time and since my eldest started school it is even worse. There is always so much going on in my head I feel like I could explode. #dreamteam

18. Reply
    MommyandRory
    4th April 2017 at 11:00 pm

My entire life is s rush! I often think if I slowed down and stopped stressing over the smallest things my life would be so much easier! I constantly add unnecessary pressure to myself there’s no wonder at times I feel bogged down! It’s definitely not just you! #TriumphantTales

19. I am exactly the same!! What is that about huh? Whenever I go out and leave my daughter with her dad I will rush back because I feel guilty about leaving her. I feel guilt…about leaving our daughter…with her father. What?! The last time, I forced myself to go and browse a couple of shops and get a cup of tea. To prove to myself I could do extra things and remind my husband (just incase he was expecting me back!) that I can still do what I like a bit.

Recently I have started forcing myself to take a nap time or evening every now and again to do NOTHING. I force myself to put my phone and laptop away and just sit and read or watch TV. It feels crazy to have to train myself to sit and not do something. It has worked a bit so maybe give that a go?! #MarvMondays

1. Also, that picture with the “tabs” quote on it made me laugh so hard. It’s SO true!!!

20. Reply
    Lisa | Pass the Prosecco... Please
    5th April 2017 at 4:15 pm

I can totally relate to this, I never stop thinking about the time, life is measured in hours. I love blogging but get so tired after 7pm, I need to try and work out a routine! Reading from #TriumphantTales xx

21. Reply
    Wave to Mummy
    5th April 2017 at 4:17 pm

I am seeing so much of myself in this post… maybe we as mums and women just try and do too much. I admit I sometimes feel a bit resentful watching my husband just chilling when I feel like I need to do this and that (although I don’t really!).

22. Reply
    Louise
    5th April 2017 at 9:19 pm

I am always in a rush! I’m forever late though, and sadly I was like this pre baby as well! I always put more pressure on myself though, I want to try and do as much as possible in a small space of time! #triumphanttales

23. Reply
    MomOfTwoLittleGirls
    6th April 2017 at 12:56 pm

Hi Jaki, I loved this post so much and it’s stayed with me. I’ve linked it up in my latest post which I’ve just added to the same #blogginggoodtime linky as this one. I hope you don’t mind. Please check out my post – The Day I Said Yes!
    xx

1. Reply
      Jaki
      6th April 2017 at 1:02 pm

Ah thank you so much, of course I don’t mind. I’ll be sure to check it out 🙂 xx

24. Reply
    jodie filogomo
    6th April 2017 at 1:46 pm

I remember being like this too Jaki!!
    Maybe it’s old age that has slowed me down, but I have to admit it feels so much better. Of course there are still times I feel like I’m going a mile a minute—but at least there are times I can enjoy life!
    Jodie
    #ablogginggoodtime

25. Reply
    Lucy At Home
    6th April 2017 at 2:29 pm

Oh I’m definitely in too much of a rush. Your graphic about having all the tabs open made me laugh because that is exactly what my brain is like! Whatever task I’m doing, I’m trying to get it done as quickly as possible because I already have the next job lined up, and I’m thinking my way through a dozen more at the same time. Slooooow dooooooown! Thanks for the reminder 🙂 #ablogginggoodtime

1. Reply
      Lucy At Home
      6th April 2017 at 2:30 pm

Oops sorry I came from #sharingthebloglove – my bad!

26. Reply
    Nicole - Tales from Mamaville
    6th April 2017 at 2:49 pm

I feel like this ALL THE TIME. Even when I’m supposedly ‘relaxing’ or ‘taking time out’. It really is mind-boggling…
    I LOVE THAT QUOTE OMG THAT’S THE INSIDE OF MY MIND!!!
    Great post.
    #ablogginggoodtime

27. Reply
    suzie
    6th April 2017 at 5:47 pm

Yep, that’s me too – and modern life I feel. We need those 2857 browsers open all the time just to cope. Love that quote btw. Am sharing that 🙂
    #BloggerClubUK

28. Reply
    Hayley@ Mission: Mindfulness
    6th April 2017 at 11:21 pm

Hee hee – I loved your humour at the end. I think so many of us feel like this. You summed it up so well about ‘the clutter’ in our brains. For me I get too cluttered and too on over-drive if I don’t just keep in mind my mindfulness stuff. It certainly doesn’t stop it altogether but it does stop me going insane with it! #ablogginggoodtime xx

29. Reply
    Laura - Autumn's Mummy Blog
    6th April 2017 at 11:40 pm

I’m exactly the same! This morning I thought about all the laundry, cleaning, blogging, university work etc. that I needed to do. I always have a huge list of things that need doing, I’m always busy rushing around. Then I looked outside and decided that this afternoon, I wasn’t going to rush. I was going to go for a nice walk outside in the beautiful weather with my mum and Autumn. Okay, once I dropped her home, I rushed off home again, but I did take some time out! It’s good to take a step back and get some perspective every once in a while I think. #MarvMondays

30. Reply
    Intrepid bebe
    7th April 2017 at 7:25 am

I am really working on trying to slow down and be more mindful but I can definitely relate #blogcrush

31. Reply
    Charlene | High Heels And Fairy Tales
    7th April 2017 at 7:56 am

I totally get this… and added to the fact that I’m terrible at time management in general, you can just imagine the rushed state I constantly find myself in! It’s not pretty! Sometimes I have to literally speak to myself and remind myself to just stop and take a breather! #BlogCrush

32. Reply
    Mackenzie Glanville
    7th April 2017 at 8:18 am

Lately more and more it feels like I am rushing, my brain feels too full and I am trying to calm myself with blogging and mothering and everything else. I really related to all you wrote and it actually made me feel like I am not alone, thank you xx #blogcrush

33. Reply
    Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    7th April 2017 at 7:46 pm

I think this is life as a mum in 2017! There’s so much pressure to achieve everything – including carving out time for yourself! I really struggle with getting to sleep in the evenings because of all the thoughts buzzing around my head and the things that need to be done. Sometimes it’s just amazing to let things slide for a day, but it’s easier said than done! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

34. Reply
    Wendy
    7th April 2017 at 7:52 pm

I completely know how you feel..I feel like my brain is always running all over the place,my mind never stops. I definitely didn’t use to be like this, I totally think having kids makes us watch the clock more than we used to. I hope you can find a way to slow and stop your mind rushing all the time. Congratulations, this post is linked to #BlogCrush as someone’s favourite post xx

35. Reply
    Helen @Talking_Mums
    7th April 2017 at 10:18 pm

Jaki, you’ve described exactly how I feel. Especially on the rare occasion I get out the house alone I feel in a rush to get back. I always feel behind and needing to catch up. Crazy isn’t it?
    #SharingTheBlogLove

36. Reply
    Janet
    8th April 2017 at 1:57 am

Ever since I had my first child, I think I’ve been running on the late side and have felt in a rush always. I completely get where you are coming from! I write lists and keep diaries and yet, always rushing.

Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes

37. Reply
    Helena
    8th April 2017 at 8:41 pm

It’s so true that we put ourselves under pressure to get things done and are our harshest critics at times. #SharingtheBlogLove

38. Reply
    Emma Reed
    9th April 2017 at 12:16 pm

You have most definitely just described me! My brain is never switched off and I love that image you have there. I think it’s women, we just have far too much going on all the time. #familyfun

39. Reply
    Lisa (mummascribbles)
    9th April 2017 at 8:31 pm

Yes!! I always feel like I’m in a rush and I feel like I am constantly rushing Zach too! Rushing to ge tout of the house on time to get wherever we are going, or rushing him to eat his dinner as he is taking too long. I often feel like I just need to chill out a bit! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

40. Reply
    Rhyming with Wine
    10th April 2017 at 4:43 pm

Oh I want to climb into my laptop and give you a hug just for saying these words! I feel exactly the same, and judging by the lovely comments above we aren’t the only ones. You hit the nail on the head when you said that none of the things are particularly vital, but like you I feel under constant pressure to get things done as quickly as possible. I think it’s because as mums all of our time is such a precious commodity, and it always feels like it’s borrowed, as weknow at any given second the small people are likely to suddenly need something and the opportunity will be over in a flash! I love this. Thanks for sharing with #DreamTeam x

41. Reply
    Tammymum
    10th April 2017 at 5:30 pm

Oh honey I feel I could have written this myself. You have totally summed up where I am and how I feel at the minute. I never have enough time and I am always rushing on to the next thing. Even when I don’t strictly need to. Its exhausting and like you I don’t have he answer. Perhaps we will slow up one day? I hope so. Thanks for joining us at #familyfun

42. Reply
    Bridie By The Sea
    11th April 2017 at 9:47 am

Oh my, I could have written this post!! Always rushing and always late…I feel like you may be my kindred spirit 😉 Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam

43. Reply
    Laura - dear bear and beany
    11th April 2017 at 8:34 pm

I hear ya! Just when I thought life couldn’t get any busier or crazier Alice started school and it ramped up even more! I’m just constantly chasing my tail and its exhausting. I’ve been wanting to have a day to myself since Christmas and I’ve still not managed it! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

44. Reply
    Selena, My Rambling Thoughts
    12th April 2017 at 1:52 am

This is me *Waving hands frantically* You’ve come into my brain and said exactly how I feel. Just on a fast moving train that won’t stop when I need to get off to board the next fast moving train. It never stops. Deep breathe. GREAT post. I can see why it was featured over at #DreamTeam =)

45. Reply
    Mummy in a TuTu
    12th April 2017 at 8:16 pm

I feel like i am constantly zipping round doing everything all at once and could do with about a bajillion clones!!
    thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

46. Reply
    Kimberley | Oh Just My Little Blog
    13th April 2017 at 10:20 pm

I’m not yet a parent but I also feel like I’m always in a rush too, and its definitely from pressure I put on myself too the majority of the time! x #SharingtheBlogLove

47. Reply
    MadDadSkillz
    14th April 2017 at 8:27 am

Yep! I know exactly how you feel. I feel like my spare capacity has been completely eaten up. I guess the idea is to try enjoy things as it happens and take a deep breath!
    But if you do find a solution, apart from adoption, let me know!
    #friYaylinky

48. Reply
    Susie / S.H.I.T.
    14th April 2017 at 2:23 pm

I am always always in a rush, life is just one big rushy rush. I was having a treat of an hour out the other day having a massage but instead of switching off and relaxing, my head was rushing with hundreds of thoughts. And then I rushed home to make sure the kids were OK and of course they were. Then I was rushing to get them dinner so I could write a blog post which was rushed! I even rush to bed and try to rush read my book before I rush myself to sleep! It’s neverending – must be to do with having children as I used to be very chilled before. Great post – glad it’s not just me! #brillblogposts

49. Reply
    Jo
    14th April 2017 at 6:37 pm

This post is me to a tee! And I love that image about having all the tabs open. I find it hard to just chill these days, and can feel the stress levels rising, which isn’t good I know. And you are so right 95% of this is not life and death. Hope you get a rest from your brain soon. #sharingthebloglove

50. Reply
    Chloe
    14th April 2017 at 9:36 pm

Hi, great post that I’m sure many of us can relate to. Despite trying to be organised I am always in a rush. Just trying to catch up with the link up now #sharingthebloglove

51. Reply
    Lisa Pomerantz
    14th April 2017 at 11:47 pm

The only thing I can imagine worse, than rushing all the time, would be if there were more hours in a day/days in a week and thus we would all be spinning our wheels even more! Great post! #brillblogposts xoxo

52. Reply
    Tooting Mama
    16th April 2017 at 4:20 pm

Oh tell me about this! Some days I feel I haven’t paused for breath and I have got nothing done! Nada! I’m going to take up mindfulness to pause a bit and gather some space in my cluttered little mind! #SharingtheBlogLove