Self-Awareness And Why It’s Important

I’ve talked about my personality type quite a bit here on my blog. I like to think that I am pretty self-aware but sometimes I think that ‘self-awareness’ is a phrase that is often thrown around. Many people don’t even know what it is. So before we talk about why it’s important and how you can improve your self-awareness, I’ll try and actually explain what it is.

What Is Self-Awareness?

Quite simply put, self-awareness is having a clear perception and understanding of your personality. This includes your strengths, weaknesses, thoughts, beliefs, motivation, and emotions. Self-awareness also helps you to understand other people and how they may perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them at any given the moment.

A couple of years ago I took part in the Myers Briggs Personality Test and discovered that I was an ISFJ. Without going into too much detail, ISFJ stands for Introvert, Sensing, Feeling, Judging. As soon as I read all about my personality type, it made complete sense. Prior to doing this test, I really feel that I didn’t understand myself very well at all. Now, however, I do and I’m at complete ease and peace with who I am as a person.

Why Is Self- Awareness Important?

It makes sense that for others to understand us, then we need to understand ourselves first. In turn, it then makes it easier for us to understand other people and then detect how they perceive us in return. Are you still with me?

Being self-aware can create opportunities for you to make changes in your behaviour and attitude and it can also assist you to discover your strengths. Internally, we can understand where our emotions and thoughts are leading us, and make the necessary changes that may be needed.

I know that when I became more aware of my personality type I relaxed a little. I used to think that I was strange because I was so quiet and shy and that I was weird for wanting to go out one minute and then when the time came, I’d find myself wanting to stay home. I didn’t get it at all. But now I understand that I’m not alone in this. I am an introvert. There are lots of other people out there with the same kind of personality and we are perfectly normal. And now that I understand myself better, I can help others understand me better too.

How Can We Become More Self-Aware?

We can start by asking trusted friends and family. Unless we ask people, we will never know what they truly think of us. Explain that you are asking because you want to understand more about yourself and that they will be helping you and not hurting you if they perhaps say something you don’t like. You can also ask your friends or family to point out to you when you are doing something that you know you want to stop or change. For example, if you use a particular tone of voice or you have an answer for everyone and everything. Ask them to discreetly tell you when you do it so that you can learn how to stop.

Taking a personality test was the first thing I did and I can honestly say that it was one of the best things I have done. I am grateful that it was arranged by the management at my place of work. It is important to them to understand their staff and for us to all understand each other as colleagues. Perhaps you could suggest that this is carried out at your place of work too? If not, have a search online and take some tests. You will soon see some consistent results and I can guarantee you’ll be thinking “So that’s why I do that!” in no time at all.

Keeping a journal is a great way to keep track of your thoughts and aspirations. By writing a little bit each evening about your thoughts and feelings, and your successes and failures of the day, you will clear and relieve your mind. Making room for new information and feelings. It’s a great way to look back at how far you have come in time as well, especially when you are trying to understand yourself that little bit more.

I hope this article has helped you understand self-awareness a little more and how we can all benefit from understanding ourselves and others around us. It doesn’t have to be huge. But doing a little something each day will assist in the journey for self-awareness and more importantly, self-acceptance.

Are you self-aware? Do you have a good understanding of yourself? Perhaps you feel this is something you need to work on? Let me know in the comments.

Written in collaboration

linky badge-2

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

16 Comment

1. Reply
    passion fruit, paws and peonies
    17th April 2018 at 8:25 am

My husband may well have been the guy who talked you through your Myers Briggs results – it’s what he does! Needless to say the kids and I have been fully assessed haha! xx

2. Reply
    wrexhammama
    17th April 2018 at 1:39 pm

#triumphanttales as ive grown into motherhood ive certainly become more self aware and becoming a single mother ive learnt im stronger than i thought and i have my mum and friends to thank for that as without them i probably would have gone into a deep depression

3. Reply
    Patrick Weseman
    17th April 2018 at 3:48 pm

As I am becoming an old man, I am becoming more self-aware and more of an understanding of who I am and my strengths. I guess that is what happens when you shed people who are close to you who always are trying to change and tweek you. #triumphanttales

4. Reply
    Chloe
    17th April 2018 at 6:07 pm

Hi, we did something similar at work a few years ago, fascinating. We used the results to help build teams and develop team members #TriumphantTales

5. Reply
    mini human resources
    17th April 2018 at 7:34 pm

I’ve always wanted to get my personality assessed! Although I think that mine would come back as driven but completely disorganised if that’s even one of the options! 😂 #triumphanttales

6. Reply
    Mummy Lauretta
    17th April 2018 at 10:27 pm

This is really interesting. When I did my training to teach antenatal classes, we did a lot of work on looking at ourselves and our own experiences and it really helped me to grow as a person and understand myself more #triumphanttales

7. Reply
    chickenruby
    18th April 2018 at 3:18 am

I’m fully aware of what certain family members think about me, but I’ve learnt over the past year to not worry about what they think, it’s about how I feel and if my self awareness of knowing what I’m capable of make them feel insecure that’s their problem. I’ve also got a lot better at asking for help recently and knowing my now limitations #triumphanttales

8. Reply
    mummy here and there
    18th April 2018 at 9:44 am

I am very much an introvert and spend a lot of time pondering. I think I am aware of things though I don’t always get them right because of my autism X #triumphanttales

9. Reply
    Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...
    19th April 2018 at 12:12 pm

I think I am quite self aware but we always have a slightly distorted view of ourselves. It is important to be self aware so you can accept who you are or make any changes that you want #triumphanttales

10. Reply
    Tales From Mamaville (@MamavilleTales)
    19th April 2018 at 2:50 pm

Such an eye-opener, this post. Self-awareness is so essential – and important – in all aspects of life. I’m working more on it and mindfulness.

11. Reply
    aliduke79hotmailcom
    20th April 2018 at 2:51 pm

This really did make me see what self awaremess actually means. You are definitely right in that we need to understand ourselves for others to understand us x

12. Reply
    Lisa Pomerantz
    20th April 2018 at 6:07 pm

I haven’t done a personality test in so long! What fun it would be. Self awareness is so important, especially to model to our kids. Great post! #TriumphantTales xoxo

13. Reply
    Jo - Pickle & Poppet
    20th April 2018 at 9:18 pm

I’ve done a similar test at a previous work place, this was pre children. If I’m honest I know that my personality changed after children. Or maybe certain traits became stronger, it would be interesting to do it again #TriumphantTales

14. Reply
    serenelysam
    23rd April 2018 at 8:06 am

I love this Jaki! Self awareness is so important. I always thought I knew who I was, and I do, but this year I am focussing on my self care and becoming more self aware to discover exactly who I am. I hadn’t thought about personality tests to help with this though, so I’m off to do one. X #TriumphantTales

15. Reply
    Nicola
    23rd April 2018 at 11:53 am

This is very interesting and I became much more self-aware following my study of NLP in which we also did some personality testing. It’s important to know your personality type but also not to let it limit you. #triumphanttales

16. Reply
    The Queen of Collage
    23rd April 2018 at 6:36 pm

This is a very thought provoking post leading me to wonder what my personality type is. I took a course that led to an exercise where others were to write how they saw you and it came up with interesting points #triumphanttales

Leave me a comment - I love to read your thoughts!