Will Online Shopping Take Over?

Will Online Shopping Take Over?

The high street has changed so much over the years. I remember when I was younger, going to our local town on a Friday during the Summer holidays was a treat. I used to love walking around the shops, and up until the last few years, I still loved walking around the shops. But in recent times, the high street just isn’t what it used to be. Is online shopping slowly taking over, and if it is, what does that mean for our high streets?

Years ago I worked in retail for quite some time. I enjoyed it while it lasted. There used to be something quite infectious about the hustle and bustle of the shops, especially at Christmastime. These days, I have to be honest, I can’t stand Christmas shopping anywhere other than on my sofa, on the laptop – or even my iPhone. Which makes me wonder, if I am like this, then how many others are and are we killing our high street shops?

online shopping

I love a bargain. I hate spending more than I have to. If I want, to find the best price in the shops on the high street, I have to traipse around every shop that sells the item I want to find it the cheapest. At home, for example, if I wanted to find the best 2018 tech deals, I can do a quick search and before I know it, I’ve found the best online shop with the best price, for the cheapest delivery. As sad as I am that this impacts on our high street, I know which one I am going to choose, time and time again. Because it’s what is best for me, financially.

Not only do I find the best bargain by online shopping, but I am busy. I don’t always have the time to go shopping. Online shopping is time-saving and convenient. Last year I actually did all of my Christmas shopping, on my phone in the space of half an hour. No word of a lie. If that’s not efficient, I don’t know what is.

Of course, this is great for us as consumers. We can get on with our busy lives, safe in the knowledge that our time is being used in the most efficient way. But what does it mean for the people who work in the shops? Are they going to be out of a job soon? We see more and more shops closing down because they are just not making the revenue, yet their online shops are thriving. This is people’s livelihood that is being affected. What does the future hold for them?

I asked a couple of my blogger friends for their opinions, and what they think the future holds.

“I’m torn. I love the convenience of shopping online, delivery to your door and the fact that you can often save money through cashback sites or codes. However I love going into to an actual shop and exploring what they have to offer, trying things on and seeing fabrics and colours in real life. It saves the hassle of sending things back and feels like a real treat. I also love the social aspect of meeting friends (or my mum for shopping and lunch, encouraging each other to make purchases outside of their comfort zone and giving brutally honest opinions! I don’t think anything beats that. Although I will often shop online for convenience and value, I will never give up on the high street!” – Jennifer from mymummiespennies.com

“Shopping online for clothes is my idea of hell. As a larger lady I can’t just order something and know it will fit. I love going to real shops to see what’s available and to try things on. I really hope online doesn’t completely take over!” – Lyndsey from mehimthedogandthebaby.com

“I think online shopping will definitely increase more and a lot of high street shops will probably end up online. I don’t think we’ll see the end of physical clothing stores, though, as people enjoy browsing and trying on before buying. Things like travel agents though, and even banks I can see becoming entirely based online, as people become more technologically confident, the convenience of using places like that online, coupled with the lower cost for the company will make it more likely for the physical store to needed.” – Hayley from missmanypennies.com

The general consensus is that smaller shops will remain on the High Street. Independent shops may well stand a chance of survival in a world where huge chains have taken over considerably over the last twenty to thirty years. This is great news. But generally, it seems we are huge online fans and it doesn’t seem like that is likely to change any time soon. It’s a sign of the times and a sign of the modern age. It doesn’t seem like we have much choice other than to embrace it.

What are your thoughts? Do you think we have seen the end of the high street? Perhaps you prefer to browse the shops over surfing the web? Let me know in the comments.

Written in collaboration

1. 26th June 2018 / 6:20 am

I think most ‘need’ to have things are much easier to do online, with the added price comparison but you mention. There is still something relaxing for instance going around a bookshop and choosing a book you like though. #TriumphantTales

2. 26th June 2018 / 8:16 am

Its that realisation we can’t have it all. I love on line shopping, but I also love to see a thriving high street. High streets are becoming more experience based, with more and more restaurants and cafes – maybe that’s not so bad…?

3. 26th June 2018 / 10:51 am

Since being a mum I only really shop online! I used to hate online shopping and loved browsing – but no time to do that anymore! #triumphanttales

4. 26th June 2018 / 11:21 am

I hope it doesn’t because there is something nice about looking at things from a tangible perspective that online shopping doesn’t give X #triumphanttales

5. 26th June 2018 / 1:03 pm

Once upon a time I used to love shopping, even at Christmas time. And I still do now, I suppose, but it’s not the same. Half the shops are closed meaning you often can’t find whatever it is you’re looking for so you have to go somewhere else or do it online. It’s sad to see all the empty units in the shopping centre and its sad to think of the people who have lost their jobs because of the closures. But, online shopping is way more convienient so I think we’re likely to see more and more shops closing. Sadly.. #TriumphantTales

6. 26th June 2018 / 3:44 pm

I think there will be always a need for stores and that while online shopping is good, people sometimes want to look around and browse. We are hardwired to be hunters and gatherers. #triumphanttlaes

7. 26th June 2018 / 4:12 pm

When online shopping first started to become popular 10-15 years ago, I was so against it…now I laugh at my young self as I’m scrolling through Amazon every single day. It has made my life so incredibly convenient! However, there are days that I just need a little alone time and wandering through a brick and mortar store is just what I need!

8. 26th June 2018 / 7:57 pm

I agree with one of the comments about online clothes shopping never working out for me. I love getting essentials or kids toys shipped on Amazon Prime because it is easier than dragging my 3 under 3 into the store. However I love supporting my favourite local businesses when I want something more unique. I think businesses that have a unique product to sell can survive. #TriumphantTales

9. 27th June 2018 / 12:16 pm

I read something today that said my town has the most empty shops in the UK (or something to that effect). With limited parking and a lack of big names, it’s self perpetuating. You can get so much online now and such a bigger range. It’s such a shame but I’m not sure what the solution is. #TriumphantTales

10. 27th June 2018 / 4:55 pm

I love the high street, especially the UK one where I can find all sorts of interesting things, I’d never in a million years search for online that end up making the best gifts. In Dubai, if it wasn’t for the malls (there are no high streets) I’d never leave the house for almost 6 months of the year, over there they do home delivery of your shopping purchases for a very small fee, so feels like online, look and choose and have it sent home #triumphanttales

11. 27th June 2018 / 10:55 pm

I like to do a mix. For sending presents to people who I won’t see anytime soon I choose the online shopping option. I also shop online for household items. But for personal presents or to make sure that I’m getting the best advice, I go to independent retailers every time 🙂 #TriumphantTales

12. 28th June 2018 / 7:06 pm

I really do think online shopping is taking over. The town centre where I live is like a ghost town. #TriumphantTales

13. 2nd July 2018 / 6:35 pm

I just love that you did all you X-mas shopping in one hour, on your phone! That is very noteworthy! WOW! #triumphanttales I think as long as women (me) have to try on clothes, shopping will stick around — but the convenience is too good to pass up! xoxo

14. 2nd July 2018 / 6:46 pm

I’m all for finding a bargain but I do like to have things in my hand before I buy too #TriumphantTales