Birthday Reflections – Older & Wiser?

Birthday Reflections – Older & Wiser?

Today sees me turn thirty-seven. Thirty chuffing seven. I’m not quite sure how that has happened so fast, but it has. No matter how in denial I am, I appear to be hurtling towards the big 40 whether I like it or not.

I wanted to have a quick look back over the last ten years. I wanted to see how much I’ve changed and what has changed around me. Rather a lot on first glance.

Ten years ago, at the tender age of twenty-seven, I had just met my now husband after having been single for the best part of two years. I had no idea that when I met him on that night back in May 2008 that he would change my life so dramatically. I had no idea when I heard those words “a girl as pretty as you, must have a boyfriend” that I was in the process of being swept off my feet. I had no idea that this guy would propose to me months later and then later still become the father of my child. I had no idea about any of it.

Had I known I probably wouldn’t have believed it. I was fragile at the time. I had been messed about a lot, my heart had been trampled on and I didn’t have much faith in guys at all. But I’m glad I learnt to trust again because this guy in particular, was about to rock my world.

It’s quite sad when I look back that the minute I found a guy to trust I lost trust in friends. I’m sad that there were people in my life back then and in the years to follow that are no longer in my life. I’m sick of playing the blame game with this too. At the time there was a lot of ‘he said’ and ‘she said’. I’m over that kind of talk. These days if someone doesn’t make an effort then neither do I. Life is too short for negativity and I’m pretty happy with my lot. The friends and family that are still around now are the ones that have stood the test of time and I know they are the ones I can rely on when the going gets tough. And of course when the going gets good. These are the ones that matter.

Ten years ago I wouldn’t have thought like that. So you could say I’ve matured somewhat. I like to think I have anyway.   I’ve dealt with many emotions over the last ten years. From becoming a married ‘woman’ to a Mum all in the space of eighteen months. No one warns you about those hormones!

Later on, saw us deal with my Mums illness and her chemotherapy treatment. One of the hardest things we’ve ever had to face. Later still saw us lose my Uncle and assist in organising a funeral for the first time ever. All of this whilst bringing up a child when I really had no clue what I was doing there either.

The older you get the more responsibilities you take on and it isn’t until I look back that I realise just how much growing up I’ve done over the last decade.  I’m ten years older and I really am ten years wiser.  If you were in my life ten years ago and you are still in it now, it’s because we were meant to be friends. It’s because we are important enough to each other to keep it that way. I realise now that this is what matters.  And I thank you for that. From the bottom of my heart.

So I wish myself a Happy Birthday and pat myself on the back, for not being a bad egg at all. Here’s to the next ten. Now, where’s that Prosecco?!

linky badge-2

1. 26th June 2018 / 7:08 am

Happy birthday!!! It really does sound like you have learnt so much over the last decade and that you are a much happier person now. I’m 27 now and still feel like I have a lot to learn about life, hopefully in 10years time I’ll be just as wise as you xx #triumphanttales

2. 26th June 2018 / 8:21 am

Love this post Jaki!! I love your attitude. I’m 50 next year and I’m weirdly excited about it. I feel pretty chuffed I’ve made it this far. I’ve had a friend die of cancer and a few scares myself. You start to appreciate the small things more and more, realising that perhaps these are the best of days. On the other hand – where the heck did the time go..! xx

3. 26th June 2018 / 8:23 am

Happy birthday gorgeous hope you enjoyed your day. I’m
    also born in June. It’s a great time to take stock, count our blessings and even
    the trials and appreciate those that have been there for us through thick and thin x #triumphanttales

4. 26th June 2018 / 10:53 am

I’m turning 34 at the end of the week and can relate to much of your post. I had a best friend in my twenties who I did EVERYTHING with, but she just turned out to be quite nasty and I didn’t realise it at the time, but quite negative. I haven’t spoken to her in over a year now and am so much more happier! #triumphanttales

5. 26th June 2018 / 4:33 pm

Jaki, taking a look back to where we were ten years ago is probably a good idea for all of us, birthday or not. You’ve come a long way! But you’re just entering a really interesting phase. And ten years from now you’ll really be amazed at your growth! #TriumphantTales

6. 27th June 2018 / 12:18 pm

I completely relate. Within 10 years I met my husband, got married, relocated, been made redundant (twice), became a mum and lost both my grandparents. It’s all gone so quickly in some ways though. I swear I’ve only blinked and I went from 33 to 43 overnight! #TriumphantTales

7. 27th June 2018 / 2:40 pm

Amazing to think such a corny chat-up line led to all that!! Happy birthday — and believe you me 37 in young. It’s all relative #TriumphantTales

8. 27th June 2018 / 4:52 pm

Happy Birthday, I’d forgotten yours was the day before mine. we’re exactly 10 years apart, me older obviously. 10 years ago I was slowly approaching my 40’s now I feel like I’m hurtling towards my 50’s at break neck speed. I too have lost and gained a fair few friends along the way, family members and seen my children all fly the nest. #triumphanttales Here’s to the next 10 years and whatever it brings

9. 27th June 2018 / 7:54 pm

Lovely post and quite poignant too particularly as I too have had that heart trampled on over the years and had let downs from family and friends. You are wiser than me already. I need to give up on certain people and focus on the good eggs. In the blogging world, you are one of them. I am so pleased you found one of the good guys and have a happy family life on the whole. #TriumphantTales

10. 27th June 2018 / 9:19 pm

Happy Birthday again Jaki. A great reflective post. Make sure you enjoy the next 3 years as once you hit 40 its all about the new aches and pains your body decides to unleash on you! In the five years since my Daughter arrived my friendship group has changed dramatically and I agree that if they’re true friends, there’ll be with you forever more.

11. 27th June 2018 / 10:57 pm

Happy birthday! I hope that you enjoyed your day 🙂 #TriumphantTales

12. 1st July 2018 / 10:25 pm

I hope you had a lovely birthday. Isn’t is crazy that as you get older and you start families you actually realise who the important people are in your life. If you had asked me ten years ago who would still be in my life my answer would not have been correct. Many true colours were shown and the very small circle I have now are my rocks! #TriumphantTales

13. 2nd July 2018 / 6:39 pm

Happy Birthday Girl! We certainly do go through the ringer in this life, but when we take the time to look at what we have in our lives, it can be pretty good. It is painful how important health is… yet still, no one gets out of here alive. Do celebrate today, and everyday! Why not? #triumphanttales xoxo