Sleep. It’s a beautiful thing. I can remember when I was younger it was all about staying up late and not wanting to go to bed early. These days, it seems as you get older you crave for an early night.
I’ve mentioned before on my blog that sleep is something that I’ve never had a great relationship with. Whilst I love it and it loves me, I find it hard to switch off. Especially as I find myself staying up late to try and get things done and make the most of having some time to myself.
There are lots of things you can do to get a better nights sleep.
- Create a calm environment
- Get a decent routine – go to bed and wake up at the same time each day
- Move regularly during the day – it’s advised to not sit for longer than an hour at one time.
- Get as much natural daylight during the day as possible.
- Limit your intake of alcohol, nicotine and caffeine and also avoid big meals in the evening.
- Invest in a decent mattress and/or bed.
Whilst the last tip may be the most costly, some might say it’s the most important.
We should be changing our mattresses every eight years and with many different types on the market it’s difficult to know which type we should be going for. From memory foam, to spring mattresses and with each of them giving you reasons why they are the best – where do you even start?
Posture is so important and perhaps something we don’t consider when looking at beds, instead opting towards comfort instead. Adjustable beds are something that should be considered. King size, double and single adjustable beds are available and the following video demonstrates the benefits.
I’d never even considered the position I sleep in until watching this video, but it all makes complete sense!
Now all I want to do is go and get into bed! All this talk of sleep has made me tired.