Taking Stock and Re-evaluating – It’s Okay To Have A Rest

Taking Stock and Re-evaluating – It’s Okay To Have A Rest

The thing with being a blogger is that you will always find subjects to write about. But sometimes, your schedule will change when unexpectedly you get inspired to write about something that you hadn’t planned. I haven’t had the best weeks at all – quite the opposite in fact. But it has been a week that has seen me taking stock and re-evaluating work, life and health.

Poorly little man

We were all set for a great week. I was prepared for the Little Man to start the new term and begin Year 1. Packed lunches were made and uniforms were labelled. Bags were packed and there wasn’t anything left to do. I was winning at the whole back to school routine. Then on Sunday morning last week, unexpectedly, the Little Man was sick. An hour later he was sick again. Soon he couldn’t even hold down water and this is how it went on for the rest of the day. As always, fantastic timing right?

He was sick for the last time that night at 7.30 pm and it was shortly after that he was that tired he asked to go to sleep. He never asks to go to sleep, so you know something is amiss when this happens. I was prepared for a long night ahead, and with the worry of him being sick in the night, I decided it best if he slept in my bed. Hubby was demoted to the living room for the night with the cat for company and I was in for an evening of watching the TV on my iPad with headphones. In the dark. Ah, the things we do.

Everything back to normal… or so I thought

The next morning came and it was back to work for us. Thankfully, I was working at home so could be there for the Little Man again. I’m pleased to say he was much better and the sickness had stopped. His appetite had returned and all was well. He was quiet and tired and it wasn’t to be expected. A day being sick is enough to take it out of anyone, as I was soon to learn. I really thought it must have been something he had eaten and we would be back to normal by the next day.

That night the husband went away for a couple of nights for a training course with work, so we put the Little Man to bed and said our goodbyes and that was that.

Poorly Mama

At 2 am the next morning I woke up with the most awful nausea I have ever had in my life. I had no idea what to do. I felt as sick as a dog and all I could think of was “why does this have to happen now?!” I managed to get myself back to sleep but woke again at 5.45 am and it suddenly became very clear that what the Little Man had had wasn’t food poisoning, but a stomach bug and now I had it. Whilst I was home with him on my own, on the first day of the new school term. Marvellous.

I don’t need to gross you out with the details. I’m sure you’ve all been there at some point in your life. It was horrendous. Along with the typical symptoms I had body aches, pains and shivers. I was hot one minute and freezing the next and couldn’t be more than 3 seconds away from the toilet.

Parenting while poorly

After I was sick, it became apparent that I couldn’t send the Little Man to school. It couldn’t have been food poisoning and it hadn’t been 48 hours since his symptoms stopped and now I had them too – on a much larger scale. So not only did I have to cope with the sickness bug from hell, I had to look after a 5-year-old as well. This is where I say to all single parents out there HAT’S OFF TO YOU! I do not know how you do it and you deserve every medal possible.

We somehow managed to get by in the morning and thankfully my Mum and Dad collected Little Man for the afternoon so I could sleep. I so desperately needed sleep by this point. I dozed on and off all afternoon, in between trips to the bathroom and then when the Little Man finally came home, all I had to do was get him in the shower and into bed. Mum had fed him. Thank goodness for Mums. Aren’t they the best?

I woke up the next day expecting to feel so much better. Little Man’s had only lasted a day, after all. How wrong could I be? Still, there were hot and cold sweats and without any food in me, I was seriously lacking in energy. Somehow I managed to get the little one ready for school and my Mum being the godsend she is, collected him and took him to school. Cue, the mum guilt and the tears for not being able to take him for his first day back myself. Cue his tears because Mummy was upset. Oh, what a palava.

I knew I had the day to try and sort myself out but what I came to learn this last week is that if you are that ill you cannot keep food down, or in, you have to just wait for your body to sort itself out. The husband was due back that evening and so at the very least, I knew I had someone to help with dinner and bedtime. For that much I was grateful.

Taking stock and re-evaluating

In my head, I was worried about everything. Not being a great Mum and missing the school runs. I was worried about work and not being there. Feeling guilty that I had to phone in sick, which I always hate doing. I was thinking about all of the emails that I needed to deal with and the work that I had scheduled in to do. All of this was whirring around in my head but I was powerless about all of it because I just felt that poorly.

Thursday came and I still had an upset stomach and felt ridiculously drained in terms of energy. But I also had a bit of a revelation. I was on to day three of feeling poorly and I realised that I just needed to stop worrying about everything else and just concentrate on getting better. It felt alien to start with because wherever possible I always try to carry on with as much as I can when I’m not well but this was different. My body was clearly telling me to stop and so stop I did.

It’s Saturday as I write this and I’m pleased to say I’m 48 hours symptom-free so I’m finally no longer contagious – halleluja! However, I am still absolutely shattered. I’m not eating properly yet so that is contributing to that, I am certain. But I’ve accepted that I need to listen to my body and only do what I’m capable of.

It’s okay to have a rest

This story wasn’t for me to tell you all about a nasty viral tummy infection but to share with you what it taught me. That it’s okay to take time off when you need to, even if it’s unprepared. It’s okay to just stop. Everything else will still be there and will manage without you until you are well enough. You are the priority and if you are not well, you are no good to anyone. The sooner you listen to your body and do as it tells you, the quicker you will be back, healthy and ready to pick up where you left off.

I am so grateful to my Mum and Dad for helping me this week. In my (almost) six years of being a Mum, I have never felt as bad as I did this week and it would have been a whole lot harder without them. They are worth their weight in gold.

So, next time you feel poorly and try to carry on as normal. Start by taking stock and re-evaluating everything. It’s okay to have a rest. Make sure you do.

How do you cope on your own when you are poorly? Have you ever been in a similar situation? Let me know in the comments.

new linky links (2)

1. 11th September 2018 / 7:01 am

Urgh that sounds awful and although it’s never convenient to get sick it is typical it happened across first day at school. These things happen though and worrying doesn’t change anything. I’m pleased you have all recovered now. I get sick and collapse due to either a hormone or blood pressure drop – my dogs surround me. My pug worries and licks me, my Labrador tries to lift my head up, my Frenchie curls up near me and doesnt leave, but my Boston Terrier shoves a ball in my face over and over! Baring in mind it can take an hour before I can manage to crawl to a phone it is an adventure! xx

2. 11th September 2018 / 8:27 am

Awh hope you’re all feeling better now. I totally get what you are saying here. There’s so much pressure to perform. Things don’t always work out the way we plan though. You just have to do the best with the card you’re given. Even if that means having a rest is the best option. Fair play to you.

3. 11th September 2018 / 9:10 am

Oh poor you , hope you’re back to full strength soon. There’s nothing worse than being ill with a child to look after. I’ve been a single mum 10 years and that’s the only time I hate it!!
    What you say is true though,in this situation there’s nothing you can do but get better and try to ignore that damn mum guilt #triumphanttales

4. 11th September 2018 / 9:11 am

Gosh, what a week that was! Just shows how tough it is for the busy, working parents when things are going okay, and then when something goes wrong! Good job you had a network around you, but you are right, there comes a point where we have to stop, and concentrate on actually getting better first. Great post. #Triumphanttales

5. 11th September 2018 / 3:58 pm

I hope you get better soon. I have always tried to push on until I was basically one foot in the grave. I stopped that because I was only hurting everyone around me and getting them sick, so I would the basics and tell them to leave me alone and I will get better soon. #TriumphantTales.

6. 11th September 2018 / 7:00 pm

Oh lovely. I hope you’re feeling a bit better now! Being sick when you are a mum is horrendous! Bad colds, headaches you just tend to suck it up and get on with it, but stomach bugs are awful and you need to look after yourself. Don’t feel bad about your little man, I’m sure he doesn’t think any less of you! xx

7. 11th September 2018 / 9:35 pm

I hope you feel better soon. We can put so much pressure but sometimes it is actually better to have a break and come back when you are ready X #triumphanttales

8. 11th September 2018 / 11:48 pm

It does rock you! I get virtigo from time to time and it takes days to recover. Glad you are on the mend. #triumphanttales

9. 12th September 2018 / 7:02 am

Aw sounds like you had an awful time. I think it’s so true that you spend so much time caring for others that you forget to care for yourself. Good job you had your parents to help. Definitely good advice #TriumphantTales

10. 12th September 2018 / 10:37 am

Ugh, we’ve been here so many times before. It’s horrible isn’t it! Totally agree that you have to take a step back and just get yourself well. I’m always telling other people that anyway. I should really practise what I preach more though! #TriumphantTales

11. 12th September 2018 / 1:42 pm

Oh lovey that sounds horrendous! I’m glad you’re on the mend and managed to give yourself a bit of time to get over it – it’s so easy to get into that mindset of ‘carry on regardless’ isn’t it. A bit of self- kindness is often the best medicine xx #triumphanttales

12. 12th September 2018 / 5:15 pm

Glad you feel better lovely. I am more conscious of looking after myself now I am a Mum. with 3 little ones to care for a no family close as soon as I start to feel a little run down I slow down and have lots of early nights. It always seems to help!! #triumphanttales

13. 14th September 2018 / 2:22 am

sorry you’ve been so poorly and your son was ill also. I can imagine how you felt about not being able to take him on his first day back at school. I hope you’re both feeling better now and thank heavens for having your parents living near by #triumphanttales

14. 14th September 2018 / 7:59 am

Ah shame man. Two years in a row now that my daughter gets sick on the first day of school. Apparently it is classified as anxiety for the new grade, teacher and the challenges ahead. First week done of school and then she is all good again #TriumphantTales

15. 15th September 2018 / 9:37 am

I got sick last Friday and am literally still feeling queasy, its been awful. I’ve felt like such a failure too, but I really couldn’t do anything about it at the time. Here’s to germ free Autumn for both of us! #triumphanttales

16. 15th September 2018 / 6:58 pm

I do not cope well when I am ill, I am a bad patient and I become whiney lol. It is really hard to stop, all we can thing of is the million and one things we have to do. But like you said it will all still be there in a day or two, our health is more important.

17. 16th September 2018 / 8:27 pm

Oh no! I’m glad you’re feeling better. I have been sick when at home on my own with the kids but only had to cope a few hours until Sam was home to help. I don’t know how you did it. #TriumphantTales

18. 17th September 2018 / 11:02 am

I’m so glad you got a rest to feel better, how wonderful that your parents were near enough to help! #DreamTeam

19. 17th September 2018 / 2:38 pm

I’m glad you are feeling better. Being ill as a parent is the worst thing ever! Unfortunately my parents 150 miles away so I have no one to call on in times like these, so I dread to think what I will do on my own with two kids who I can’t get to school! Fingers crossed we stay germ free! #TriumphantTales

20. 21st September 2018 / 5:42 pm

Jaki, I do hope your recovery was quick and easy – unlikely, I am sure. I hope you get the rest you need to keep up to super-mama standards. It’s so hard when we go down… Big hugs #triumphanttales xoxo