Why Am I Always In Such A Rush?

Why I Am Always In Such A Rush?

I feel as though for the last four years I have spent my life in a complete whirlwind. I genuinely feel like I don’t stop. Mentally and physically I am always in a rush.

I don’t think I’ve always been like it. Not that I can remember much of life pre-child (tell me other Mums feel the same!). But I’m sure I didn’t feel like I was constantly in a battle against the clock from morning until night.

Now don’t get me wrong. This isn’t necessarily about my lack of organisation skills and for example – getting somewhere on time (although I’m pretty bad at that, always have been!). This is about me feeling in a rush in my head. I swear, it’s the pressure I put myself under, mentally.

Since the day I was handed my baby, a little over four years and three months ago, I have been watching the clock. It starts with the feeds. Then the naps. Then how many hours they are sleeping through. Then what time I need to get up to get us both out of the door in the morning. Then getting to work on time. Then making sure I get all of my work done in the three and half hours I have before making sure I get home on time to be there to pick the little man up from whichever grandparent he is at. Then later making sure he’s eaten on time so he can have a bath on time so he can be in bed on time.

It’s exhausting just thinking about it. In the evenings when I have the time to get the laptop on, I feel like I am still rushing to get blogging tasks done. Link up posts to linkys. Comment on other blog posts. Write my blog posts. Sort out all of the images. Schedule social media. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not complaining about these tasks because I love blogging, I really do. It’s just these tasks add to the constant clutter in my brain that works alongside the ticking of the clock.

Why I Am I Always In Such A Rush?

The time that this happens that irritates me the most is when I have a trip out of the house without my Little Man. I may be popping to town to get my nails done or get a bit of shopping. The little fella is safe at home with is Dad and yet still I feel like I am in a rush to get home. It’s like it is engrained in me psychologically and I can’t for the life of me escape it.

I can be sat writing a blog post and I am rushing to get the words typed out before I forget where I’m going with it. Desperate to get the post draft written so I can concentrate on making the necessary tweaks and amendments until I’m happy with it.

The ridiculous thing is – none of these things that I am rushing to get done, or getting myself in a tizz over is a matter of life and death. They are really trivial when I think about it. Nobody is saying to me that I have to be home by a certain time (in most cases). It’s me that seems to be psychologically torturing myself into thinking that I have to be. Even though I know everything is fine without me and that in all honesty – I deserve that break.

I’m not sure what the answer is and I’m not sure if I can change. It feels like it’s the way I’m programmed and wired. And can that really be changed? Because after all, how can you change who you are? And if I could, would I want to? Does this not make me the person that I am today? The Mum that I am today? It’s a tough one.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’ve typed this post that fast I need to go back and correct all the typos.

How about you, are you always in a rush or are you the total opposite? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

1. 3rd April 2017 / 9:49 pm

This. is. me! I could have written this, I spend my life in a frantic rush and don’t ever stop. I personally think in my case I crave the rush and the adrenaline that comes with rushing around with a purpose. I had flu when I was pregnant with my second and was very poorly, I was in bed, literally in bed and couldn’t move for two weeks and I realised then that I could sit down, life would go on, my daughter survived so there is definitely a bit of me brining the rush into my life. 🙂 #marvmondays

2. 4th April 2017 / 8:46 am

Did you write this about me? You could have. My brain always seems to be working overtime, never giving me a break. I love the thing about our brains being like a browser with thousands of tabs open. If you discover the answer please please please let me know.. haha #TriumphantTales
    Sam – StressyMama recently posted…Gratitude Post #3 – Thank you March!My Profile

3. 4th April 2017 / 8:50 am

OMG, I can relate to this post so much. You hit the nail on the head about even when you’re not with the kids and there’s actually no need to be in a rush, but yet still clock watching. That is totally me! I’m always thinking what time I’ll be back in the house to do XYZ before school pick up or whatever. I can’t see me ever snapping out of it now x

4. 4th April 2017 / 9:06 am

the kids have all left home and i’m even more in a rush these days as I leave everything to the last minute, I was much better organised when I had other children to worry about #triumphanttales
    chickenruby recently posted…Coping with a disabled adult child.My Profile

5. 4th April 2017 / 9:25 am

This is me and I don’t even have babies! I spend my life being in a rush, and struggling to keep up. I am in awe of you and all the other mummy’s who do it so well. #TriumphantTales

6. 4th April 2017 / 10:52 am

There are not enough hours in the day. 3 kids, 3 jobs, housework, my blog (can I count that as a job too? 🙂 ) I rush all the time and have piles of lists to make sure nothing gets missed #triumphanttales

7. 4th April 2017 / 11:33 am

Yes, this sums my life up totally! Always in a rush, having 4 children has meant I’ve developed the role of PA to them all. My 16 year old is the worst at needing me to organise his life! #Triumphanttales
    collette Dunn recently posted…Mother’s Day and mixed emotionsMy Profile

8. 4th April 2017 / 1:02 pm

I can totally relate to this. With the kids, work and blogging my brain is constantly on the go. Maybe it’s time for a spa day?! #TriumphantTales

9. 4th April 2017 / 1:52 pm

Agreed. The worst part for me is that I end up projecting this rush for things on to the kids. They never actually move fast enough. Then after I’ve yelled at them to ‘hurry up’ for the 100th time in 5 minutes, and start feeling awful I think to myself, “Why exactly am I rushing? Really? So we get to school 5 minutes later than planned but so what.”. I have no patience what so ever.
    #triumphanttales

10. 4th April 2017 / 2:30 pm

I completely understand this feeling. ( I actually had to skip your linky today because I’m so far behind commenting on others. Be back next week ) #anythinggoes
    jeremy@thirstydaddy recently posted…Attack of the JokerMy Profile

11. 4th April 2017 / 3:18 pm

This is absolutely me! In particular when I am out without them and as you, I feel like I am in a rush to get home. Or when I go shopping and I take the elevator as well. We are mum and we are learning this job every day. But we need also a lot of training as well! X

12. 4th April 2017 / 4:47 pm

We need breaks that is for sure. I feel like this a lot of the times. I barely ever feel like I get a time to just slow down. And it seems like ever since my daughter was born that time just goes by too fast. We gotta find time to just slow it down and as they say “smell the roses.” #TriumphantTales
    Brittany | A Mindful Geek recently posted…A Review of Beauty and the BeastMy Profile

13. Nige
    4th April 2017 / 5:56 pm

This is me always on the go I guess it’s Children and the pace of life is so fast nowadays thanks for hosting triumphanttales

14. 4th April 2017 / 9:22 pm

I am definitely like this at times. I think this is programmed into us as mum’s. We need to slow down sometimes but it is hard.
    Ali Duke recently posted…March Review & April GoalsMy Profile

15. 4th April 2017 / 10:07 pm

Oh lovely. This is literally me, word for word. I rush through everyday wondering why I never sit down or take a breather. Literally right now, the little ones are in bed and im working my way through my to do list, rushing before I can go to bed too!
    Sarah recently posted…The Animals Of Puxton ParkMy Profile

16. 4th April 2017 / 10:27 pm

Being organized and planning things in advance definitely helps me to stay calm and feel efficient…. but then the minute that I am about to walk out the door, my son spits up on my comforter or I realize that he doesn’t have a nuk.

Also, #mombrain makes it so hard to finish one task before moving on to the next when I am rushing around in the morning. Please tell me that I am not the only one!

#twinklytuesday

17. 4th April 2017 / 10:34 pm

Oh I am the same and it drives me mad! I am always rushing all the time and since my eldest started school it is even worse. There is always so much going on in my head I feel like I could explode. #dreamteam

18. MommyandRory
    4th April 2017 / 11:00 pm

My entire life is s rush! I often think if I slowed down and stopped stressing over the smallest things my life would be so much easier! I constantly add unnecessary pressure to myself there’s no wonder at times I feel bogged down! It’s definitely not just you! #TriumphantTales

19. I am exactly the same!! What is that about huh? Whenever I go out and leave my daughter with her dad I will rush back because I feel guilty about leaving her. I feel guilt…about leaving our daughter…with her father. What?! The last time, I forced myself to go and browse a couple of shops and get a cup of tea. To prove to myself I could do extra things and remind my husband (just incase he was expecting me back!) that I can still do what I like a bit.

Recently I have started forcing myself to take a nap time or evening every now and again to do NOTHING. I force myself to put my phone and laptop away and just sit and read or watch TV. It feels crazy to have to train myself to sit and not do something. It has worked a bit so maybe give that a go?! #MarvMondays
    Angela Watling (Life, Motherhood and Everything) recently posted…Five Favourite Finds #11My Profile

20. 5th April 2017 / 4:17 pm

I am seeing so much of myself in this post… maybe we as mums and women just try and do too much. I admit I sometimes feel a bit resentful watching my husband just chilling when I feel like I need to do this and that (although I don’t really!).

21. 5th April 2017 / 9:19 pm

I am always in a rush! I’m forever late though, and sadly I was like this pre baby as well! I always put more pressure on myself though, I want to try and do as much as possible in a small space of time! #triumphanttales
    Louise recently posted…Boys summer wardrobe wishlistMy Profile

22. 6th April 2017 / 12:56 pm

Hi Jaki, I loved this post so much and it’s stayed with me. I’ve linked it up in my latest post which I’ve just added to the same #blogginggoodtime linky as this one. I hope you don’t mind. Please check out my post – The Day I Said Yes!
    xx

6th April 2017 / 1:02 pm

Ah thank you so much, of course I don’t mind. I’ll be sure to check it out 🙂 xx

23. 6th April 2017 / 1:46 pm

I remember being like this too Jaki!!
    Maybe it’s old age that has slowed me down, but I have to admit it feels so much better. Of course there are still times I feel like I’m going a mile a minute—but at least there are times I can enjoy life!
    Jodie
    #ablogginggoodtime

24. 6th April 2017 / 2:29 pm

Oh I’m definitely in too much of a rush. Your graphic about having all the tabs open made me laugh because that is exactly what my brain is like! Whatever task I’m doing, I’m trying to get it done as quickly as possible because I already have the next job lined up, and I’m thinking my way through a dozen more at the same time. Slooooow dooooooown! Thanks for the reminder 🙂 #ablogginggoodtime
    Lucy At Home recently posted…When Selfless Love Becomes Self AbuseMy Profile

25. 6th April 2017 / 2:49 pm

I feel like this ALL THE TIME. Even when I’m supposedly ‘relaxing’ or ‘taking time out’. It really is mind-boggling…
    I LOVE THAT QUOTE OMG THAT’S THE INSIDE OF MY MIND!!!
    Great post.
    #ablogginggoodtime
    Nicole – Tales from Mamaville recently posted…The Anatomy of a ToddlerMy Profile

26. 6th April 2017 / 11:21 pm

Hee hee – I loved your humour at the end. I think so many of us feel like this. You summed it up so well about ‘the clutter’ in our brains. For me I get too cluttered and too on over-drive if I don’t just keep in mind my mindfulness stuff. It certainly doesn’t stop it altogether but it does stop me going insane with it! #ablogginggoodtime xx
    Hayley@ Mission: Mindfulness recently posted…How I Know Mindfulness Makes Me More ResilientMy Profile

27. 6th April 2017 / 11:40 pm

I’m exactly the same! This morning I thought about all the laundry, cleaning, blogging, university work etc. that I needed to do. I always have a huge list of things that need doing, I’m always busy rushing around. Then I looked outside and decided that this afternoon, I wasn’t going to rush. I was going to go for a nice walk outside in the beautiful weather with my mum and Autumn. Okay, once I dropped her home, I rushed off home again, but I did take some time out! It’s good to take a step back and get some perspective every once in a while I think. #MarvMondays
    Laura – Autumn’s Mummy Blog recently posted…I’ve gone self-hosted!My Profile

28. 7th April 2017 / 7:56 am

I totally get this… and added to the fact that I’m terrible at time management in general, you can just imagine the rushed state I constantly find myself in! It’s not pretty! Sometimes I have to literally speak to myself and remind myself to just stop and take a breather! #BlogCrush

29. 7th April 2017 / 8:18 am

Lately more and more it feels like I am rushing, my brain feels too full and I am trying to calm myself with blogging and mothering and everything else. I really related to all you wrote and it actually made me feel like I am not alone, thank you xx #blogcrush
    Mackenzie Glanville recently posted…Feeling lowMy Profile

30. 7th April 2017 / 7:46 pm

I think this is life as a mum in 2017! There’s so much pressure to achieve everything – including carving out time for yourself! I really struggle with getting to sleep in the evenings because of all the thoughts buzzing around my head and the things that need to be done. Sometimes it’s just amazing to let things slide for a day, but it’s easier said than done! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…The Pregnancy Diaries: Week 30My Profile

31. 7th April 2017 / 7:52 pm

I completely know how you feel..I feel like my brain is always running all over the place,my mind never stops. I definitely didn’t use to be like this, I totally think having kids makes us watch the clock more than we used to. I hope you can find a way to slow and stop your mind rushing all the time. Congratulations, this post is linked to #BlogCrush as someone’s favourite post xx
    Wendy recently posted…#BlogCrush linky – Week 8My Profile

32. 7th April 2017 / 10:18 pm

Jaki, you’ve described exactly how I feel. Especially on the rare occasion I get out the house alone I feel in a rush to get back. I always feel behind and needing to catch up. Crazy isn’t it?
    #SharingTheBlogLove

33. 8th April 2017 / 1:57 am

Ever since I had my first child, I think I’ve been running on the late side and have felt in a rush always. I completely get where you are coming from! I write lists and keep diaries and yet, always rushing.

Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes
    Janet recently posted…Thinking about home educationMy Profile

34. 9th April 2017 / 12:16 pm

You have most definitely just described me! My brain is never switched off and I love that image you have there. I think it’s women, we just have far too much going on all the time. #familyfun

35. 9th April 2017 / 8:31 pm

Yes!! I always feel like I’m in a rush and I feel like I am constantly rushing Zach too! Rushing to ge tout of the house on time to get wherever we are going, or rushing him to eat his dinner as he is taking too long. I often feel like I just need to chill out a bit! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

36. 10th April 2017 / 4:43 pm

Oh I want to climb into my laptop and give you a hug just for saying these words! I feel exactly the same, and judging by the lovely comments above we aren’t the only ones. You hit the nail on the head when you said that none of the things are particularly vital, but like you I feel under constant pressure to get things done as quickly as possible. I think it’s because as mums all of our time is such a precious commodity, and it always feels like it’s borrowed, as weknow at any given second the small people are likely to suddenly need something and the opportunity will be over in a flash! I love this. Thanks for sharing with #DreamTeam x
    Rhyming with Wine recently posted…The Changing Room Incident…My Profile

37. 10th April 2017 / 5:30 pm

Oh honey I feel I could have written this myself. You have totally summed up where I am and how I feel at the minute. I never have enough time and I am always rushing on to the next thing. Even when I don’t strictly need to. Its exhausting and like you I don’t have he answer. Perhaps we will slow up one day? I hope so. Thanks for joining us at #familyfun

38. 11th April 2017 / 9:47 am

Oh my, I could have written this post!! Always rushing and always late…I feel like you may be my kindred spirit 😉 Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam

39. 11th April 2017 / 8:34 pm

I hear ya! Just when I thought life couldn’t get any busier or crazier Alice started school and it ramped up even more! I’m just constantly chasing my tail and its exhausting. I’ve been wanting to have a day to myself since Christmas and I’ve still not managed it! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…Review: EZ-Fort…Fairy Tale CastleMy Profile

40. 12th April 2017 / 1:52 am

This is me *Waving hands frantically* You’ve come into my brain and said exactly how I feel. Just on a fast moving train that won’t stop when I need to get off to board the next fast moving train. It never stops. Deep breathe. GREAT post. I can see why it was featured over at #DreamTeam =)

41. 12th April 2017 / 8:16 pm

I feel like i am constantly zipping round doing everything all at once and could do with about a bajillion clones!!
    thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime
    Mummy in a TuTu recently posted…What Happened to Me?My Profile

42. 14th April 2017 / 8:27 am

Yep! I know exactly how you feel. I feel like my spare capacity has been completely eaten up. I guess the idea is to try enjoy things as it happens and take a deep breath!
    But if you do find a solution, apart from adoption, let me know!
    #friYaylinky

43. 14th April 2017 / 2:23 pm

I am always always in a rush, life is just one big rushy rush. I was having a treat of an hour out the other day having a massage but instead of switching off and relaxing, my head was rushing with hundreds of thoughts. And then I rushed home to make sure the kids were OK and of course they were. Then I was rushing to get them dinner so I could write a blog post which was rushed! I even rush to bed and try to rush read my book before I rush myself to sleep! It’s neverending – must be to do with having children as I used to be very chilled before. Great post – glad it’s not just me! #brillblogposts

44. 14th April 2017 / 6:37 pm

This post is me to a tee! And I love that image about having all the tabs open. I find it hard to just chill these days, and can feel the stress levels rising, which isn’t good I know. And you are so right 95% of this is not life and death. Hope you get a rest from your brain soon. #sharingthebloglove

45. 14th April 2017 / 9:36 pm

Hi, great post that I’m sure many of us can relate to. Despite trying to be organised I am always in a rush. Just trying to catch up with the link up now #sharingthebloglove
    Chloe recently posted…Review of Sainsbury’s bacon crispiesMy Profile

46. 14th April 2017 / 11:47 pm

The only thing I can imagine worse, than rushing all the time, would be if there were more hours in a day/days in a week and thus we would all be spinning our wheels even more! Great post! #brillblogposts xoxo
    Lisa Pomerantz recently posted…Meet StumpyMy Profile

47. 16th April 2017 / 4:20 pm

Oh tell me about this! Some days I feel I haven’t paused for breath and I have got nothing done! Nada! I’m going to take up mindfulness to pause a bit and gather some space in my cluttered little mind! #SharingtheBlogLove