Places To Go: The British Motor Museum

Places To Go- The British Motor Museum

It’s half term already. How is that even possible? Parents everywhere are looking for things to do and places to go so I thought it the perfect time to share with you my latest ‘Places To Go In Stratford on Avon and The Cotswolds‘. Today we went to the British Motor Museum.

We were invited along, as this week (18th – 26th February) they are hosting Brick Week. It’s a week of Lego Brick Building Challenges. Perfect for the kids and a perfect trip out to help keep them entertained during half term.

There are several activities to take part in and we did them all!

Help build a life size Mini out of LEGO bricks
Visitors are able to complete their own brick section (4 bricks by 4 bricks) which they then hand over to the professional model builders to assemble into the LEGO brick Mini model.

I can’t wait to see the end result of this. The idea is, by the end of the half term holiday, the life size mini will be complete. The museum are taking the names of every child that has helped too – a lovely little touch!

25 Brick Challenge
The challenge is to build a British Motor Car with 25 LEGO® bricks and four wheels.

Little Man was asked to pick a box containing 25 bricks and his challenge was to build a car – with a little help from Daddy he managed it and I think you’ll agree he looks pretty pleased with the end result!

Mini Figure Museum trail
Search the Museum to match the Mini Figure to their cars.

This was a lovely little way to explore the museum and find the answers on the worksheet. Little Man had great fun running around looking for all of the mini Lego figures. These kids will do anything to get a sticker at the end of it!

Under 5s fun with foam bricks
Three sets of large soft bricks in a dedicated area for the under 5’s. Your challenge is to build a car out of the bricks.

The Under 5s section is a nice little area to play with the foam bricks and have a play with some cars on a nice track.

What’s On Display?

The British Motor Museum has the largest collection of historic British cars in the world. They also have an archive containing more than one million objects, from film and photos, to technical records and publicity material. All of this put together tells the entire story of the British motor car. It was really fascinating!

Whilst Daddy and Little Man were running around finding all the mini Lego figures, I had a mooch around to capture some of them gems that are on display for you to view. There are SO many, it was impossible to take photos of them all.

My personal favourite was the DeLorean from Back To The Future.

The Cafe

At lunchtime, we decided to pay the cafe a visit to get a bite to eat. It’s a great cafe with a large collection of foods to choose from. For the children, there is hot and cold foods and they are really reasonably priced – which always helps on a family day out. There are meal deals available and both hot and cold deals are priced at £4.50 and include a drink. There was also a great cooked breakfast menu available and you could pretty much have any combination you wanted. For the three of us to have food and a drink it cost just under £17 – which I don’t think is bad at all. I also need to mention the fantastic amount of cakes there were available!

After we had finished with lunch we took a walk over to the Collections Centre – not so much a museum but a store for all of the extra cars not on display in the main museum. You could spend such a long time looking around these!

By this point, our Little Man was getting a little agitated – you know how kids get?! They’ve done what they want to do and want to get on to the next thing! Thankfully a staff member stepped in and offered him a sit in the Shaun The Sheep Land Rover! It raised a small smile, for a short while!

We eventually gave in to Little Man’s pleas to go to the playground and my two big kids had a little fun together outside – although it was pretty cold and so we didn’t stop too long! That went down well, as you can imagine!!

We had a really lovely morning at the British Motor Museum and if you are in the area this week I would really recommend getting down there and getting involved in Brick Week. As I said, I can’t wait to see the end result of the life size Mini made from Lego!

You can find out all the information you need by visiting the British Motor Museum website. You can also discover more places to go in and around Stratford Upon Avon by visiting the Shakespeare’s England website.

Have you been to a motor museum before? Or perhaps you’ve been to this one? Let me know in the comments below.

Many thanks to the British Motor Museum and Shakespeare’s England for inviting us  – we had a wonderful morning.
*We were gifted entrance to the British Motor Museum in return for an honest review.

1. 22nd February 2017 / 4:57 pm

Wow as a car lover, I bet you are in heaven there. The Lego projects look like great fun to be part of too. Even better the food looks amazing! Always a winner. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworsr x
    Sarah Howe @runjumpscrap recently posted…Best and Worst Week #85My Profile

24th February 2017 / 6:41 pm

Pretty good all round and yes the food was amazing. X

2. 22nd February 2017 / 6:11 pm

Great pics and looks like a fab day out. I haven’t been there before. I think the nearest to that is Beaulie down near us and that was quite a while ago.

Mainy

#bestandworst.
    mainy recently posted…Why I chose not to make money from my blog.My Profile

24th February 2017 / 6:40 pm

Thanks. It was a lovely trip out.

3. 24th February 2017 / 10:55 am

Wow that looks like a fab day out and loving that awesome brick challenge! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xoxo
    Talya recently posted…A mum’s dream of a nice watchMy Profile

24th February 2017 / 6:35 pm

It’s great isn’t it? I think Little Man would have helped build the whole thing if they’d have let him! Xx

4. 24th February 2017 / 7:41 pm

Brilliant day out. My boys would love the cars they crazy for them!! My little is only just into building Lego but think he’d enjoy those fab foam blocks!!!

‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬
    Karen TwoTinyHands recently posted…Tintagel and Trebarwith SandsMy Profile

26th February 2017 / 8:18 am

My pleasure. It really is a great place if you ever get chance to go. Really easy to get to aswell.

5. 24th February 2017 / 10:44 pm

What a great place to visit in your neck of the woods! Such a shame this isnt closer to us as my Mr is into classic cars in a massive way. I love that you took so many great pictures, you really get a good feel for the place from them. Fab post, thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

26th February 2017 / 8:16 am

Ah thanks. I couldn’t stop. Every time I turned around there was another photo opportunity! There’s so much to do around here if you ever fancied a mini break. I’m hoping to go to Warwick Castle when the weather gets a bit warmer.

6. 25th February 2017 / 11:00 pm

Wow this looks fantastic – so much fun! I love the idea of the lego and building a car, it’s amazing. Your son and OH look like they had a fab time! 🙂

Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes

26th February 2017 / 8:13 am

It was a great bonding opportunity for them! I must update the blog post as I’ve since seen pictures of the completed mini – it’s incredible!

7. 25th February 2017 / 11:53 pm

Our boys are car-mad and I took them here this time last year, just after they had completed a major renovation. It’s a fab place and we’d thoroughly recommend it. #bloggerclubuk

26th February 2017 / 8:12 am

Yes it did have a big overhaul – I hadn’t been since I was at school prior to that! Glad you and your boys enjoyed it.

26th February 2017 / 11:05 pm

I was expecting it to be more than that if I’m honest! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

8. 26th February 2017 / 9:01 pm

What a fab day out! Cars would be completely lost on my little one, but that lego challenge sounds amazing. How exciting to know that the bit that you made is going to help create the final car. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam x
    Annette, 3 Little Buttons recently posted…Inspire Me – Vicky, Millie’s Beach HutsMy Profile

26th February 2017 / 11:07 pm

And I’ve seen the final thing and it’s amazing! X

9. 1st March 2017 / 10:47 am

Ooo looks like such great fun and def somewhere I should go when bubs is a bit older!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

2nd March 2017 / 9:57 pm

It’s a great place and has just won an award so I hear. Thanks for hosting 🙂

10. 3rd March 2017 / 12:02 am

This place looks amazing, so much fun! I know we’d all love that so I’ll pop it on our to do list 🙂

#friyaylinky
    laura recently posted…The FriYAY Linky >> 03/03/2017My Profile

3rd March 2017 / 8:40 pm

Fabulous! You must let me know if you go. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. X

11. 3rd March 2017 / 3:41 pm

This day out looks amazing, and I love how it is getting the children involved with the car building process, albeit in Lego. Thanks for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

3rd March 2017 / 8:38 pm

My pleasure. It’s a great visit if you ever get the chance. X