The Paradox Of Parenting – Wednesday Wisdom 23

The Paradox Of Parenting – Wednesday Wisdom 23

I couldn’t let this week go by without marking it in this week’s Wednesday Wisdom. This week I have felt the worries and strains of parenting at a whole new level! Today, along with many, many other Mums and Dads out there, I waited with baited breath for the arrival of The Email. The Email that would tell me where my Little Man would spend his Primary School years.

I had no idea what time the email would arrive – I’d never done this before! All I know is that from the moment I put the Little Man to bed last night, I became extremely emotional. It dawned on me that within a matter of hours I would find out whether we would get our first choice school. I became so anxious and within the space of ten minutes, I had convinced myself that he wouldn’t get a space and then I was stressing about how on earth I was going to tell him!

The school we picked is so important to us. Not only did my parents go there, my Sister went there, I went there, but it is our local school and is right next door to the street where my Mum and Dad live. So if there was an emergency and I was at work, someone could be there in a shot. Obviously, it’s a great school too which isn’t overcrowded, and it’s the perfect location for me to be able to drop him off before work and collect him on the way home. AND all of his nursery friends were hoping to go there too. I was desperate for him to get a place.

The night was long last night. I started dwelling on how the hell the last five years have gone by so fast. Five years ago this coming weekend, I found out I was pregnant. I remember it well as it was the day before my Mum’s birthday. It seems like yesterday. How can we possibly be living the reality that is school admissions already? He’s still just my baby!

But the thing is he isn’t is he? Of course, he will always be my baby – even when he is thirty with a family of his own. But in reality, my Little Man is becoming just that.

I catch myself watching him some days. In total awe of the clever little boy, he is becoming. I find myself wondering where on earth the time has disappeared to. I’ve brought up and nurtured a real life human being who is soon to start the next chapter in his life and it scares the crap out of me. It scares me because even though by the time September comes, I know he will be ready, I know I won’t be.

The time has gone by in the blink of an eye, yet at times the days have dragged. The weeks have dragged when they are particularly bad ones. Why is it that the best of days always speed past yet the more difficult ones go on forever? They leave you counting down the minutes until bedtime and then when bedtime comes, you feel guilty for wishing away that precious time. Jeez, parenting messes with your head.

So this week’s quote kind of sums up how it all feels.

“The great paradox of parenting is that it moves in both slow motion and fast speed”

And doesn’t it just?

I know that the next four or five months are going to fly by. Soon I will be the Mum at the school gate trying to get a grip of herself as she waves her precious boy off on his first day. The very thought makes me feel sick. But it’s given me a bit of a reality check too. These next few months are the most precious. It won’t be like this for us ever again after he starts school. So starting from now I’m going to try and make the most of every day. It won’t always be easy but I’m going to try my best. These days are so precious. Just like he is. Why can’t they stay little forever?

Thank you for reading.

PS – We did get our first choice school – today was a good day!

Wednesday Wisdom Quote Series

1. 19th April 2017 / 7:26 pm

I’ve never heard that saying before, but its a good one. Here in the States we simply go to the school that we are geographically assigned. When I see these posts from UK bloggers it always seems so weird to me! Congrats on getting your first choice #familyfun

2. 20th April 2017 / 2:59 pm

Oh for them to stay little for a while longer. I know that feeling. There is something about that school place that comes crashing down around you and every moment you have from now until then so so precious but the crux of it is that it is amazing watching them grow at school, I promise. It’s so wonderful to hear them recounting their stories and their wonders. And that time apart makes the time together so so special that you make it count even more. So pleased you got your first choice! #FamilyFun

3. 20th April 2017 / 8:31 pm

Oh my goodness that quote couldn’t be more spot on! It totally feels like it is going slowly when you’re in the throws of sleepless nights and toddler tantrums but I know I’ll be in your shoes this time next year and waiting to see if my first borns get her first choice school! Argh the paradox! I can’t believe you and your parents went to the same school as your son is going to, how amazing. Thank goodness he got in eh. Thanks for joining us at at #familyfun

4. 20th April 2017 / 8:34 pm

I just spotted Jeremy’s comment and I grew up in towns with one school and that’s where you went, all this choice stuff is going to stress me out when the time comes. Totally agree with the fast slow thing though can’t believe I’ll have a 2 year old this summer!! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

5. 20th April 2017 / 10:11 pm

I love that saying and it is so true! I caught myself looking at my son last week towering over the tulips in a flower field and wondered where the time had gone! Congratulations on getting your place a good school is so important. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

6. 21st April 2017 / 10:09 am

My eldest is in year 1 now, I remember waiting for the letter just like you! It seemed so surreal! The time just speeds up even more when they’re in school, it’s horrible! But congratulations on getting the school you wanted! I’m sure he’s going to love every minute of it! 😀 Becky x #SharingTheBlogLove

7. 21st April 2017 / 5:54 pm

Ah lovely we were waiting on confirmation this week for my second child Harri, we got the school we wanted which was great but I too felt so emotional by it all. She is a June baby and just seems too little to be starting reception.

I also know due to already having a little one in school already, once they are in it goes even faster. #sharingthebloglove

8. 23rd April 2017 / 10:36 pm

That saying is perfect, it’s so true… I am pregnant with my second at the moment and while I feel as though I’ve been pregnant forever the time I have where my boy is our only one seems to be absolutely flying by. It is a joy to watch them grow and change but you also want to hold on to some of these moments don’t you?
    So glad you got the school you wanted! #familyfunlinky

9. 24th April 2017 / 4:22 pm

Oh my this is so true. Barely a day goes by when I don’t despair at how quickly my four are growing up. Even my little one is not so little anymore – he’ll be 4 in just a month’s time! In autumn we’ll have to apply for a secondary school for my eldest. Yet when I look at him, I still see his gorgeous baby face. I find that the structure of the school year makes everything fly by even faster than before.
    Popping over belatedly from #FamilyFun

10. 25th April 2017 / 1:48 pm

This was me last year and it’s such a stressful time for parents. I’m so pleased you got the school you wanted. I hope all his friends did too and they can be together in September. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

11. 27th April 2017 / 9:34 pm

So so true and I’m so pleased you got your school of choice! It’s such a funny feeling having to let them go’ and feels so strange giving up so much control for all those hours. I must say it is a lot easier than expected but 3 terms down I’m still not used to it, I hate being apart so much and not being there when he is sad or hurt. They can’t be babies forever but mostly time does fly by! xx