My Happy Place, My Guilty Pleasure

My Happy Place, My Guilty Pleasure

Guilty pleasures. We all have them. And today I have finally decided to share mine. With you.

Now I will begin with this. I am well aware that this post may make me sound like a thirty something year old fan-girl. But from the very beginning, I make no apologies. This is my happy place and my guilty pleasure.

Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I’ve talked about it’s importance to me, many times on this blog. I can’t imagine my life without it’s soundtrack. And it has many a soundtrack over the years. From hard rock, to cheesy pop, I love it all. I go to gigs as and when I can and no car journey is complete without the stereo turned up loud (when little legs isn’t in the car, obviously!)

But this post in particular is to address a reasonably new love of mine. Well, a four year old love. McFly.

Four years ago I was pregnant with my gorgeous little boy. Four years ago my husband played me a song. Four years it began.

The song was Love Is Easy. He played it me because not only did he like it, but it captured how he felt about us bringing this new life into the world. That day that song became ours and Ethan’s. It is the most special song in the world and it always will be.

Now I hadn’t been sat under a rock for the last nine years. I was well aware of the band and knew all of their classic well known tracks but I’d never looked closer than that. I never knew anything about them. I had never listened to an album and that really disappoints me now, because I feel like I have missed out over the years. So I downloaded the albums. I casually looked up You Tube videos and slowly I began to have a new favourite. My love for the McFly boys was born. The rest, as they say, is history.

mcfly

Photo credit: The Express

I’m well aware that the average age of a McFly fan is substantially younger than me. But there are many of us older ones out there too. After all, the guys aren’t that much younger than me. Besides, there’s no age limit on this kind of thing. You like what you like. It’s as simple as that.

Why do I like them so much? Their music makes me so happy. Music takes me to this place that takes away any stress, any worry, any apprehension and totally transports me into an instantly happy place. It’s my drug. And their music does that.

Not only is their music good for me, but they are genuinely nice guys too. You only have to watch Tom’s videos on his You Tube channelΒ to see how down to earth he is. I feel I relate to him and his wife Giovanna too, with them having a young family of their own, of a not too dissimilar age to my little one. Giovanna talks a lot about parenting on her You Tube channel and she brings a huge amount of positivity and sometimes, it’s just when it’s needed.

I’ve been lucky enough to see McFly live three times and McBusted three times, not bad going for a four year relationship! Every gig has been amazing, and the last one was just a couple of weeks ago. I always leave on a real high having had an evening of great music and great banter with all four guys, Tom, Danny, Dougie and Harry. Albeit I’m a little deaf from all of that screaming from the ‘younger’ fans, but that soon sorts itself out!!

Ethan is also developing a little bit of love for their music. I’m sure this most definitely has something to do with me, but he loves them all the same. He loves pretending to play my little pink ukulele (which I WILL learn myself) which is just like Tom’s.

721861db-3f52-4735-b494-a925ce298611

My mini pop star

So there we have it. If any of you follow me on Twitter, you will already know about this little part of my life, so none of this will come as a surprise. But those of you who don’t, or don’t know me that well, will have learnt something new about me today.

This post can’t go without me mentioning what happened just last week. We all love a bit of celebrity recognition on Twitter if and when we can get it, don’t we… Well you can imagine what I was like when THIS happened…

img_2771

Yep. Told you I would sound like a fan-girl eventually!!Β I don’t care. It was awesome.

This is my guilty pleasure. My happy place. It doesn’t matter what it is. We should all have one. Something that takes us somewhere else, away from the stresses and strains of every day life. I’d love to know what yours are. Let me know in the comments.

In the mean time, if I’ve unleashed a longing in you to hear more, I have a pretty fantastic McFly Playlist on Spotify if you fancy having a listen. If not, check out ‘our song’ below. If you’re a Mumma like me, there’s no way you won’t relate to the lyrics.

It’s okay. You can thank me later.

I regularly link my posts (including this one!) to some fabulous linkys – you’ll find them in the sidebar of this blog.

1. 3rd October 2016 / 9:02 pm

This is amazing! #marvmondays and I agree with Tom he will go far…because his mummy is saying it’s okay to be you and like what you like. They are amazing gifts – always be genuine and your family will go far star girl (see what I did there)

3rd October 2016 / 9:18 pm

You’ve no idea how much your comment has made me smile from ear to ear! Thanks so much! I really enjoyed writing this one (and making sure the link worked a few times!!!) πŸ˜€ And I love the Star Girl reference – very good!! πŸ™‚ Thank you again xx

2. 3rd October 2016 / 10:05 pm

Oh I completely feel you. I’m not a massive McFly fan but still hold a massive place in my heart for S Club 7. They remind me of Uni. Then I have a number of tunes that remind me of times with my daughter. Music is so key to life I think. Also, LOVE when you get a celeb retweet / comment on twitter. You must have been so chuffed all week #MarvMonday

3rd October 2016 / 10:07 pm

Between me and you – I still am!! Haha. Thanks for the lovely comment – I wasn’t sure how this one would be received but so far so good! πŸ™‚

3. 4th October 2016 / 2:14 pm

Yay! What a lovely twitter message from Tom! For me, music crosses all ages. I don’t think it matters what anyone else thinks. If McFly is your thing, be proud. πŸ™‚ Your little one looks like he’s having a blast on your ukulele. Maybe you will have a musician on your hands. Thank you for linking up to the #DreamTeam xx

4th October 2016 / 2:29 pm

I’d love for him to be a musician – perhaps I can live my dream through him! Thanks for a lovely comment πŸ™‚ xx

4. 4th October 2016 / 5:58 pm

I know you are meant to comment on the post before your own on the link but I would have regardless for this. It’s a fab post and me and the babies bopped to your video at lunch. I love that you are ‘fessing’ up to a secret passion but honestly there is nothing wrong with a bit of Mcluvvin! I have only ever been to two concerts and McFly was one of them and my ears rang too! Xx #DreamTeam

4th October 2016 / 9:59 pm

Aww thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed ‘our song’! I’m so pleased you liked the post, I wasn’t sure how this one would be received but so far everyone is enjoying it. πŸ™‚ ps. Glad to hear you’ve been to a McFly gig! Brilliant aren’t they?! πŸ™‚ xx

5. 4th October 2016 / 7:21 pm

Music is my happy place too, no matter how I’m feeling putting on some music will always lift my mood and my tastes are also pretty wide ranging. My son’s happy place seems to be prodigy! I’m don’t mind them but can’t say I’ve ever been a fan, he loves it though and every time he puts it on him and his 2 year old sister dance around like absolute loons and that always puts a smile on my face. Great that you got a retweet from Tom!
    #DreamTeam

4th October 2016 / 10:01 pm

Oh that’s funny. I have a vision of the twin of them dancing around to Firestarter!! Fantastic. I’m hoping mine continues with my music tastes and not his dads! Less said about that the better!!! πŸ™‚ still smiling about the retweet! Thanks so much xx

6. 5th October 2016 / 12:42 pm

There’s nothing wrong with your guilt pleasure. I love listening to music that everyone things is rubbish. It’s all about personal preference. If we all liked the same things, the world would be boring. I’m a big fan of 80s music and I get seriously ribbed about it. Good on you! I don’t blame you get excited about the tweet, I would have too πŸ™‚

Sally @ Life Loving

6th October 2016 / 2:14 pm

Thank you! I have no shame at all. If it makes us happy that’s all that matters! Still buzzing about the tweet! πŸ™‚

7. 5th October 2016 / 1:02 pm

Ah, I love McFly. I’m also a huge fan of Tom and Giovanna, they seem like such wonderful people and have such a beautiful family. I’ve no idea how I’ve never heard this song. Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

6th October 2016 / 2:15 pm

Ah I hope you enjoyed it now you’ve heard it! They’re a lovely couple aren’t they? Really inspiring. Thanks for popping by x

8. 5th October 2016 / 1:27 pm

I love music and listen to it all the time! depending on my mood will depend on which playlist I listen too #bestandworst

6th October 2016 / 2:16 pm

Yes I know what you mean! You can’t beat a good playlist!

9. Emma
    6th October 2016 / 8:44 am

Oh I love that twitter retweet!! I love putting on music and silly dancing in the kitchen, I don’t really have a favorite but some songs from school days set off butterflies in my stomach so I can relate. #Sharingthebloglove

6th October 2016 / 2:18 pm

I’m still buzzing from that tweet! I feel extremely childish but I don’t care about that either!! πŸ™‚

10. 6th October 2016 / 10:15 am

You go girl! We’re all entitled to our guilty pleasures, I often listen to country music when my kids are at school and I love the Sons of Anarchy soundtrack as it reminds me of late nights when my son was a baby and I used to sit sleepily watching it. Sarah #SharingTheBlogLove

6th October 2016 / 2:19 pm

Fantastic! I love having such a huge taste in music. There’s always something fit for any occasion! πŸ™‚ thank you for reading and commenting x

11. 6th October 2016 / 4:02 pm

Well thats just awesome! The fact he saw it and retweeted! Lush… also we have the same pink ukulele! My little man loves to pay it too <3 They should totally start a band…… haha!

6th October 2016 / 10:31 pm

Do we get to join in too? Ah but that wouldn’t be cool would it?! πŸ˜€ I know I still can’t believe it happened – just need to get him to see this post now – can you imagine that?! πŸ˜€ Thanks for your lovely comment.

12. 6th October 2016 / 7:50 pm

This is ace…I think we all need a boyband in our life. We had a heavily encouraged few years of one direction love, initiated by 10 month old Tigs but it became part of our ‘soundtrack’ too. I used to have vivid dreams about Harry Styles after watching the 1D movie over and over as requested by our 2 year old!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub
    PS McFly sat in front of me at a Busted concert earlier this year!

6th October 2016 / 10:27 pm

Nooooo!! You lucky thing!! I don’t think I could have concentrated on Busted!! πŸ˜€ I have to admit, I did have a thing for Harry Styles a while ago – I figured it was okay because I’m younger than Caroline Flack, so it made it acceptable!! πŸ˜€ Thanks for your comment!

13. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    6th October 2016 / 8:55 pm

Tom Fletcher tweeted you – amazing!!! That little pink ukulele is so cute, I bet he will go far! We all have our guilty pleasures – music is such a wonderful thing for throwing up wonderful memories isn’t it? There’s nothing else like it! Thanks so much for joining us again at #SharingtheBlogLove

6th October 2016 / 10:26 pm

Yep!! Still buzzing from it and it’s over a week ago! I was like a kid on Christmas Day! πŸ˜€ Thanks so much x

14. 6th October 2016 / 10:50 pm

Few things tickle my fancy more than a reply from someone I admire on Twitter. My favorite author is so generous with his fans and even though I know he will reply to me I still giggle like crazy when he does. The Beatles are my guilty pleasure.

6th October 2016 / 11:18 pm

Oh I know, I’m still giddy about it now! I’d secretly been hoping for one forever, I never thought it would actually happen! πŸ™‚

15. 7th October 2016 / 1:09 pm

I love McFly, I have done for years. So much better than a “boy band” because they can actually play instruments πŸ™‚
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes πŸ™‚
    Debbie

7th October 2016 / 8:21 pm

Top taste Debbie!! πŸ‘πŸΌ Thank you x

16. 8th October 2016 / 4:22 pm

A very bright, cheerful song; I can see why you like it so much. The pink ukelele is very sweet – but it looks cuter with your son. We already have 2 guitars… better hope my kids don’t see this! x

8th October 2016 / 8:06 pm

Haha it is pretty cute isn’t it? Although I think you’re right, the little man helps. X

17. 8th October 2016 / 5:30 pm

Ahh I love this! Mcfly are fab, definitely one of my favourite boy bands as they are such big characters and all very talented which is quite unusual these days! I follow Tom and his wife on Instagram and love how down to earth they are, their pregnancy announcement videos were amazing too! #justanotherlinky

8th October 2016 / 8:08 pm

Totally. It’s refreshing to see famous people so ‘normal’ these days. Thanks for the lovely comment.

18. 8th October 2016 / 5:41 pm

I love having guilty pleasures – mine are definitely watching trashy reality TV like the Kardashians and Real Housewives πŸ™‚

8th October 2016 / 8:08 pm

Fantastic. I’m a bit of a reality TV fiend myself. X

19. 8th October 2016 / 6:00 pm

That’s so cool that Tom tweeted you!! I love watching his and Gi’s you tube videos too, they are a lovely couple. I think we all have our guilty pleasures and this was is pretty awesome! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

8th October 2016 / 8:09 pm

Ah thanks. I’m still giddy about it now! πŸ˜„ Thanks so much x

20. 9th October 2016 / 7:36 pm

Ahhh nothing wrong with fan girling! Love that Tom replied hehe. Thanks for linking up lovely, see you next week! #Bestandworst

10th October 2016 / 5:50 pm

Thanks. Two weeks have passed and I’m still giddy about it!! πŸ™‚