Life Through A Lens

It just goes to show that as a blogger you can be inspired to write a post at any given moment. The inspiration came for this one at the one time and place I least expected it to. I was miles away from my laptop. Light years away from my blogging bubble and I was in the one place that is true ‘me time’. I was at a gig. A really loud music gig and it’s at times like this I am completely and utterly, in my element.

Imagine the scene. You’re stood in a crowd and have been for ages, waiting for your favourite band to come on. You’ve been waiting for ages. The tickets were booked months ago and you’ve counted down the days and the day itself arrives. You may have spent the day travelling and queuing and eventually you’re allowed in to get your spot to see your guys sing your favourite songs. Lights go down. Band comes on. Fans scream with delight and anticipation of the evening ahead. This is it. The moment you’ve been waiting for. They burst into the opening number and everyone goes crazy…

And then everyone get’s their phones out.

Yep. You read that correctly. I am stood there, completely astounded by just how many brightly lit screens I can see in front of me, filming the concert that they are watching.

At this point I am really confused. I’m not old fashioned – far from it. I am attached to my iPhone as much as the next person and I’m not ashamed to admit it. But in circumstances like this, I don’t understand why you would pay in excess of Β£30 for a ticket to see your favourite band play live, right there in front of you, in the flesh – literally meters from you, to watch it through a camera phone lens.

mcfly2

There is some kind of bizarre irony that I have a photo of people taking photos and video footage. Photo credit therefore goes to my husband…. πŸ˜‰

I was baffled.

Yes we all like to capture moments and memories to keep for later enjoyment, that is natural. But I feel that occasions like this don’t come along every day. They are situations that we should live in the moment. Take them all in. Enjoy them there and then. Absorb the atmosphere. Feel the music beating through your entire body. Sing to the songs as loud as you can and dance around if you have the room. Enjoy yourself. Don’t watch it through a bloody phone just so you can watch it back later.

Modern technology is great. Don’t get me wrong. If it wasn’t for mod cons and gadgets we couldn’t do half the things we do in our blogging world. And of course, cameras are a vital part of our day when it comes to creating awesome content. But where possible, I take the pictures I need to and put it away. Capture the memories, sure, but live them too. You should never forget to live the moments to create the memories. They are so precious.

I felt sad for my fellow gig goers. I felt sad that they were too caught up in getting the scene in front of them in theirΒ view finder rather than watching it for what it really was. Which, by the way was an incredible show.

Obviously this post was inspired by my particular situation on that evening but I feel it applies to all aspects of life. Many of us constantly try to capture that perfect picture. We try and find the right light to take the perfect photograph of the beautiful flowers rather than just picking them up and smelling how gorgeous they are. We arrange the perfect background to take the crisp, eye catching photo of our freshly made meals, instead of delving in and savouring every mouthful straight away. It seems we have to capture everything these days before we can just enjoy it.

Do we spend too much time living our lives through a lens? Am I just being stuffy and old fashioned? I don’t think I am, but I’d love to hear your views.

The concert by the way, was McFly. Yes, yes I know. I’m a Mum who jumps around at a McFly gig. I have no shame. I enjoyed every bloody second. Without my camera.

quote-if-you-put-your-cameras-down-you-might-be-able-to-live-in-the-moment-you-have-a-memory-ian-brown-88-14-85

This post is linked up to some of the following fabulous linkys:

linkys

1. 10th October 2016 / 5:05 pm

Absolute spot on post. I for one, should really cut down or at least monitor when to go on technology. I find myself picking my phone back up and scrolling through twitter moments after putting it down. And you can see it in the younger generations too. After reading this post I am definitely going to make more of an effort to be more conscience in the world I live in NOW and not the online aspects of it. I hope you had a fantastic time at the gig non the less! #marvmondays

10th October 2016 / 5:53 pm

Thanks so much. I was worried I was getting a bit stuffy in my old age!! I’m glad to have inspired you! Enjoy your ‘now time’ πŸ™‚

2. 10th October 2016 / 10:01 pm

I can’t believe this is what the world is like now!
    Does no one live in the moment anymore?
    A concert is the last place I would want to be filming!!
    What about singing, dancing, having some fun!!!?
    Sarah recently posted…World Homeless DayMy Profile

11th October 2016 / 10:55 pm

My sentiments exactly! Thank goodness I’m not an old fart! I was beginning to think it was just me! πŸ™‚

3. 11th October 2016 / 9:37 am

I totally agree with this post! I’m not a concert goer myself but always wonder about all the people watching through their phones when I see things like Glastonbury on TV. I’ve seen people do this at football matches and I just don’t understand it! Having said that… sometimes I think I am guilty of taking too many photos of my baby when I should just be enjoying the moment. I guess its just about finding the right balance. Good post πŸ™‚

11th October 2016 / 10:54 pm

Totally about finding the balance. I’m glad my point came across in this! Thanks for reading and commenting.

4. 11th October 2016 / 9:41 am

I’ve noticed this at concerts and I’ll admit I’ve been guilty of it a little too. We are going to the Goo Goo Dolls on Friday night and I’m gonna take one shot for prosperity the. Put my phone away (and try and avoid the person holding their phone in the air in front of me from blocking my view!) #twinklytuesday
    All about a Mummu recently posted…Film Review: Bridget Jones’s BabyMy Profile

11th October 2016 / 10:53 pm

Haha – sounds much what I tried to do! Have a great time at the gig and sing Iris nice and loud!! πŸ˜€ Thanks for stopping by! x

11th October 2016 / 10:52 pm

Thanks so much πŸ™‚

5. 11th October 2016 / 8:58 pm

Totally see where you are coming from here. I was the other way though, I used to get so into what I was doing that I never took any photos and didn’t have any to look back on! Thankfully now I have children I am snap happy, so I will always have lovely pictures to look at in years to come!

#twinklytuesday
    The Tale of Mummyhood recently posted…National Trust – We Love You!My Profile

11th October 2016 / 10:51 pm

Totally agree it’s fine to take them, I just think it’s knowing when to stop πŸ™‚ Thanks for reading.

6. 12th October 2016 / 6:15 pm

I completely get this, I wrote something similar a while ago, about how life was supposed to be viewed with our eyes and not down the lens of a camera. Far too many people miss out on precious moments because they are too busy recording it or snapping away. I love to take photos just as much as the next person, but my phone stays firmly in my pocket when I am wanting to enjoy the moment. Great post. #bestandworst
    five little doves recently posted…After school club featuring The UnNatural MotherMy Profile

15th October 2016 / 7:09 pm

So many people are on my wavelength with this one. I’m so pleased we’ve not all been taken completely by the digital world! πŸ™‚

7. 12th October 2016 / 7:35 pm

Love this. I went to see Years and Years last Oct and I was determined not to get my phone out for that reason. Hubby got a good pic and that was it. We were quite far away from the stage but I wanted to enjoy it! Sometimes phones and screens do need to be kept away and we just live in the moment. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst
    Sarah Howe @runjumpscrap recently posted…Best and Worst Week #69My Profile

15th October 2016 / 7:08 pm

Completely agree!! So annoying when you’re watching and get distracted by all of the lights from the screens too. Not what we pay to watch! Xx

8. 13th October 2016 / 9:38 am

I love this! Most of the them I bet wouldn’t even watch the footage back. I recently wrote a post about growing up with no mobile phones, no twitter or Facebook and how privileged I feel! The only camera we had was one that you put film in so none of this ‘taking pictures over and over to get the best one’ bollocks! Brilliant post #coolmumclub

15th October 2016 / 7:07 pm

Haha. I remember. You had to wait to get the pictures back before you realised how awful they were or how many you had your finger over the lense!! Those were the days!! πŸ™‚

9. 13th October 2016 / 12:36 pm

I am having serious issues with this at the moment and just took on a self inflicted phone and digital detox because in my view it’s all getting so ridiculous and so utterly obsessive. I read a really interesting article in the Sunday Times by one woman who doesn’t even own a phone and she was saying how ridiculously we all behave with our phones and I have to say I agree….even though I too am guilty of it. Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xx

15th October 2016 / 7:06 pm

They can cause an issue but I think if they’re used sensibly there shouldn’t be a problem. Some people just don’t know how to step away and that’s such a shame. Xx

10. 13th October 2016 / 2:07 pm

Oh I love a good gig. But convinced you’ll find at McFly but never say never. I’m so with you. I love my phone and I like to get a couple of pics from a gig, but I usually grab them before the band’s even on. It’s all about being there, hearing it and and feeling it for me #bestandworst

15th October 2016 / 7:04 pm

Definitely agree! Thanks for your comment πŸ™‚

11. 13th October 2016 / 8:46 pm

I’m totally with you on this! The sound quality from a phone recording is always terrible, so I can’t see that anyone is getting any enjoyment from watching it back. And it’s so distracting in a group experience like a dark gig to have bright phones dotted around everywhere. I don’t believe you can enjoy something like a concert when you’re behind a camera. Thanks so much for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

15th October 2016 / 7:02 pm

It is so annoying to see all the phones in front of you. Especially when they block your view, that you paid for!! Kids today!! πŸ˜€ I’m pleased to realise I’m not the only one who thinks like this πŸ™‚ I’m not the old fart I was beginning to think I was! πŸ™‚ xx

12. 14th October 2016 / 2:22 pm

I am totally with you on this. Whilst its nice to capture moments that we want to treasure forever, for me at a gig that would be a selfie with my friend and then the phone would go away. I want to sing and dance along at a gig, look at my friend and laugh and be in the moment. Those are memories that I will keep in my head forever. I don’t need a recording of the gig for that. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…Surviving Two Years With Two Children…My Profile

15th October 2016 / 7:00 pm

Couldn’t agree more!! It must be a ‘youngster’ thing as we’re all in agreement here! πŸ˜€ x

15th October 2016 / 6:59 pm

I did. It was awesome! Thanks.

15th October 2016 / 6:58 pm

Same here! A lot of people seem to agree! πŸ™‚

13. 15th October 2016 / 12:58 am

Technology is well used in our house! Probably overused. My boys go to a technology based school and Ipads are brought home daily and I have to charge them. They are given homework on there too. Then my daughter is in secondary school and they are encouraged to type. This doesn’t even include Kindles, phones, laptops, Tv etc…

Sometimes I want to escape so in the summer we always make time for a camping trip!

But then we miss technology – probably appreciate it more!

Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes
    Janet recently posted…The StrainMy Profile

15th October 2016 / 6:54 pm

It’s frightening how much is done with technology these days. It saddens me that kids aren’t encouraged to handwrite more. I always had a pen in my hand when I was younger.
      Have to admit I’d miss the technology too though if it was taken away completely!

14. 15th October 2016 / 1:24 pm

Absolutely love this – I’m completely addicted to my phone but there are some times that you just need to enjoy the moment! I also find it shocking that every moment seems to be documented on phones these days…I often see it on the tube when an incident occurs and it shocks me every time! Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam Hope to see you again next week x
    Bridie By The Sea recently posted…VLOG: Emma’s Sleep Routine, 17 monthsMy Profile

15th October 2016 / 6:50 pm

It’s worrying isn’t it? I can’t be as bad as I think I am as when I come to write a post I often find that I haven’t got the perfect picture as I forgot to get my phone out! I’ll be back next week πŸ™‚ x

15. 15th October 2016 / 2:36 pm

This is a brilliant post. It’s so much more fun to lose yourself in the moment rather than apply media to it. #BloggerClubUK
    Helena recently posted…Word of the Week: SwitchMy Profile

15th October 2016 / 6:44 pm

Thanks so much. I think so too.

16. 17th October 2016 / 8:19 pm

20 years ago I went on the most incredible safari in Africa. I took a borrowed video camera and remembering abandoning it a day or so in because I felt I was missing the first hand experience…yet here I am all these years later guilty of exactly what you have written here. Need a detox I think!
    Thanks for linking with #coolmumclub
    MMT recently posted…[We’re all] Friends reunitedMy Profile

17th October 2016 / 10:36 pm

It is hard when these days technology is so close to hand. We are all a little guilty πŸ˜‰

17. 20th October 2016 / 9:30 pm

Ah I’m so with you on this! Makes no sense does it. I also hate going out with friends for them to just sit there staring at their phones! On family days out I always take loads of pictures but mainly because I love taking them and love the memories. I dont change the day though I love natural photos to look back on. However when we were on holiday there was another blogger there dictating her whole family every time we saw her! She wouldn’t let them eat their food, she got them to pose which her kids hated, she made them all play in the baby pool for better less populated photos and the woman didnt stop barking at her family the whole time, I’ve written a post about that myself but Ive been leaving it a while in case she saw it lol! #FriYAYLinky
    laura recently posted…Hermit Season >> Cosy Autumn/Winter FavouritesMy Profile

21st October 2016 / 5:35 pm

That’s awful!!! Natural pictures are always the best I think. Fair enough for the odd posed one here and there but to have your whole holiday dictated just for content is absurd. I look forward to reading your post one day! πŸ˜‰ xx