Isle Of Wight, I Love You

Isle Of Wight, I Love You

Around twenty-seven years ago, I visited the Isle of Wight for the first time. It was a family holiday as a child and I instantly fell in love with the place. We went back a couple of times when I was small and I visited a couple of times when I was in my twenties. But I hadn’t been back with my family, with ‘my boys’.

We have been wanting to go as a family for the longest time. We always said we would and this year, we finally got around to going. I have been looking forward to it ever since we booked the accommodation and the ferry. There’s something extra exciting about boarding a car ferry to go on holiday. It adds that extra ‘something’. Almost like going overseas but without the hassle of a foreign language and different currency.

The day we left we had beautiful weather and the crossing was perfect. Little Man had never been on a ferry before and so he really enjoyed it. We sailed from Southampton into Cowes and we arrived on the island for lunchtime.

We stayed at Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park in Bembridge. This has always been a favourite part of the island for me. I have fond memories of staying in an apartment overlooking the harbour in St Helens. Memories of going to sleep and waking up to the tinkling of the boats. It makes me smile thinking about it even now, all these years later. So, going back to Bembridge was something I was really happy about.

Whitecliff Bay really is a sight. You could be forgiven for thinking we were abroad when looking at these pictures. Sadly by the time we got to the beach the tide was right in and we couldn’t even paddle, but it was nice to be greeted by such a pretty sight on our first day.

Isle Of Wight, I Love You

We spent that first afternoon in the outdoor pool. I say ‘we’, what I really mean is the boys spent their time in the pool. I just sat and enjoyed an ice cold beverage and took in the beautiful weather! The facilities at Whitecliff Bay are great. Lots for the kids and adults to do and you really don’t have to travel far if you don’t want to.

Sadly this weather didn’t hold out for our whole visit to the Isle of Wight. We had three fairly cloudy days and a bit of rain thrown in. It wouldn’t be a UK holiday without a bit of drizzle though, would it?! And of course, being the true unorganised Brit that I am, I forgot any kind of coat, let alone raincoat, possible!

We didn’t let the weather stop us. It was still warm – that’s the important thing. We spent our time exploring the island and taking advantage of having a beach only a few minutes from us at all times. When you live as far away from a beach as we do, we would be foolish not to!

We paid a visit to Monkey Haven in Newport of which there is a separate blog post coming! Keep an eye out for that in a few days time!

The one place I wanted to visit whilst we were on the Isle of Wight was The Needles at Alum Bay. You may know of The Needles. If you don’t – you will likely have seen a photograph and not realised what it was. They are the three iconic white rocks that are so frequently photographed. Even the official Needles website quote them as ‘a photographer’s dream’.

There are chairlifts available, or a bus. But with a husband afraid of heights and a four-year-old not too keen on hanging that high above the cliffs and water, we decided to walk. Jeez, I need to up my exercise! It was a bit of a trek but I had to get that shot. I think you’ll agree it was worth it. And the views along the way were something pretty special too.

Isle Of Wight, I Love You

Alum Bay hosts a variety of attractions and is brilliant for kids. So to go was a no-brainer. Again, I remember going as a kid and just knew it was somewhere I wanted to take the Little Man. With glass blowing demonstrations (that I could watch for hours!) and the Sand Shop where you can fill your own glass shape with layers of different coloured Alum Bay sand, there is so much to do. That’s if you’re not too tired after the long walk to see The Needles.

Four days on the Isle of Wight simply wasn’t long enough for me. I could have spent a fortnight there. There were so many more things I want to go and revisit and this just makes me super excited for our next visit. I sure as hell won’t leave it so long next time.

Thank you, Isle of Wight. for the memories past and present. I’ve a feeling we’ll be seeing much more of each other in the future.

Isle Of Wight, I Love You

We ended our mini break with a little trip back to Torquay. If you’re a regular to this blog you will know that we visit at least once a year. We stay at a friends bed and breakfast of which you can read a little more about here.

Well. The sunshine we missed on the Isle of Wight, certainly didn’t let us down in Torquay. We had two beautiful hot days spent by the beach and it was the perfect end to our UK holiday.We all spend so much money going abroad for our holidays because we are normally guaranteed the weather. But this last week has proven to me, that this country is truly beautiful. You only have to look at my pictures to see that.

With the Little Man starting school in September, it is likely we will spend more holidays in the UK over the next few years and I can honestly say, I’m really excited by that thought. We have a gorgeous country and I can’t wait to see more of it.

Isle of Wight, I Love You

What is your favourite UK holiday destination? Have you been to the Isle of Wight? Let me know in the comments.

linky badge

1. Lady Nym
    4th July 2017 / 10:10 am

When I was growing up three out of my four grandparents plus some aunts, uncles and cousins all lived on the Isle of Wight so it was our holiday destination every year (at least once a year). I loved it.

It was lovely to read your account and see your photos. For a long time I had one of those hollow animals with layers of sand in (I think it lasted at least a decade but moving around quite a lot ended up with it getting mixed up).

I’d really recommend Blackgang Chine for when your little one’s a tiny bit older.

#AnythingGoes

2. 4th July 2017 / 11:54 am

I freaking LOVE The Isle Of Wight. It’s such a beautiful place. Looks like you had a lovely time. Also..your little man looks SO like you! πŸ™‚

3. talkingmums1
    4th July 2017 / 2:01 pm

Some amazing photo’s Jaki. I’d love to go to The Isle of Wight again as the last time we only went for the day which turned out to be a bit of a disaster as we went with family who didn’t want to leave the holiday house till lunch time, then when we got to the IOW they said ‘follow us’ and got us lost, then we realised as we set off on our walk that the last ferry wasn’t that late back. So we didn’t get to see much. What we did see was beautiful though x

4. diynige
    4th July 2017 / 2:08 pm

I have never been but wow! I’m tempted after seeing your post what a beautiful place it looks. Looks like you had a fab time your photos are awesome. Thanks for hosting triumphanttales

5. 4th July 2017 / 7:20 pm

looks like you had a lovely time, we’ve never been to the Isle of White but id love to go it looks gorgeous!

6. 4th July 2017 / 7:48 pm

What an adventure, the weather looks beautiful too! #triumphanttales

7. 4th July 2017 / 9:23 pm

Sounds fab! We’re def co suffering staycations this year but living in the north west, the idle of wight is probably about as far away as we could go! I’m not sure Willow is up to the car journey just yet. Glad you got the good weather xx #TriumphantTales

8. 4th July 2017 / 9:30 pm

Great post. Sod the weather, it looks like you had a fantastic time in very beautiful surroundings.

9. 4th July 2017 / 9:36 pm

It looks like you all had a fabulous time x

10. 4th July 2017 / 10:05 pm

The colour of the sea is amazing and what beautiful scenery, definitely on my list of places we have to visit in the future #triumphanttales

11. 5th July 2017 / 10:58 am

My family has holidayed in the IOW for 20+ years. We love it there and I now love taking my son over there too. We’ll be there in T minus 10 days in fact. Hope the weather holds out for us! #DreamTeam

12. 5th July 2017 / 11:27 am

What an awesome holiday! Isle of Wight looks fabulous! I can see why you wanted to take your family there. Thanks for sharing!! #triumphanttales

13. 5th July 2017 / 1:19 pm

i loved the Isle of Wight on my one and only visit there in 1991, a bit too hilly though, but worth the views to stay on the cliff tops. Have they improved the chair lift to get down to the Needles? back then it just swooped up behind you and took you down, not stopping as you grappled with a flimsy chain to stop you falling out #triumphanttales

14. 5th July 2017 / 2:14 pm

It sounds like you had a lovely time away, and the photos you’ve shared are just stunning!

I visited the Isle of Wight on a school trip back in primary school; I still go on about it now but have never returned. I do want us to visit as a family, although a little hesitant as we don’t drive and I’m not sure how much we’d get to see and explore. Something I’m looking into though.

It’s great that you’re keen to explore more of the UK – we’re doing exactly the same. I think we often forget how beautiful our home country is. #DreamTeam

15. randommusings29
    5th July 2017 / 5:02 pm

I’ve never really thought of visiting the Isle of Wight and I had no idea there was so much to do there. It sounds like a great place to go and the photos are beautiful. It really did look like somewhere abroad!
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes πŸ™‚
    Debbie

16. 8th July 2017 / 10:11 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful time! I’ve always wanted to visit the IOW but never have! #triumphanttales

17. 9th July 2017 / 1:57 pm

There is something so magical about sharing the memories and experiences of our own childhoods with our children. I haven’t been to the Isle of Wight for years but your photos look so idyllic. I think we’ll be adding it to our to do list! Thanks for linking to #DreamTeam x

18. 9th July 2017 / 4:37 pm

Wow!! I have been to the IoW just once on a day trip but I don’t remember it looking as amazing as this, I feel like changing our holiday plans and getting the first ferry over! What amazing photos and memories you have made, just gorgeous! #triumphanttales

19. 10th July 2017 / 9:19 pm

I spent my very first holiday with my first boyfriend in a caravan on the Isle of Wight when I was 18. My Mum told me I wasn’t allowed to go (didn’t approve of staying with a boy!) but I ignored her and went anyway and it will always have a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, it’s unlikely to be anywhere we will go on holiday now as my other half has to travel there for work several times a month and he hates going! (nothing to do with the island just the long journey!). We spend most of our UK holidays in Devon with family, I love south Devon. The UK has such a beautiful coastline we are very lucky!