Introducing T.A.D: Total Age Denial…

52805L

I’ve diagnosed myself with a new condition. T.A.D. Total Age Denial.

I was taking part in a blogger/Twitter chat the other evening and all of a sudden I felt really old. Most of the other participants were in their early to mid twenties and the topic was childhood memories. Put it this way, their childhood memories weren’t MY childhood memories. I was working at the time of their most treasured memories. Certainly not making childhood memories of my own. That was going on ten years prior to them when they were probably just starting primary school! It hit me like a slap in the face that I really am heading into my MID THIRTIES.

I’m desperately trying to work out how the hell this has happened. I honestly feel like I got to twenty six and time just kind of stopped because I don’t feel like I’m the age I am. Mentally. Physically or any other way.

Every now and again it will crop up in my mind. Maybe when I’m trying clothes on and a little voice inside my head says ‘Should someone your age wear that?!” It can be really disheartening. A song will come on the radio and I’ll be working out what year it was released and when I work it out to be twenty years ago I’ll think ‘well how can I remember that far back?!’ And then it hits me again… I was a teenager back then. That’s why!

It’s a strange mindset that I just can’t explain. Is it because I’m young at heart? Is it because I’m the youngest in my family? The youngest child and the youngest grandchild therefore in my head I should always be the young one. It’s still weird for me to this day when I can be out with a group of people and they’ll discuss age and it becomes apparent that I’m the oldest. That never happened when I was younger. I was always the youngest. School, friends, everything. All the time. Β It makes me kind of grateful to all of my work colleagues for being older than me. Thankfully I get to keep the title ‘baby of the group’ somewhere!

Will I always feel like this? I thought maybe when I had a child it might change but needless to say, it hasn’t. I still can’t get my head around that I have a three, soon to be four year old. Err, HOW?!

I went through some photos from my Facebook to include in this post and I don’t think I look toooo different from twenty six to thirty four. The picture quality is certainly better and at least I have better eyebrows now. Every cloud and all that…!

26_34

26 year old me v. 34 year old me

So I guess I’ll plod on in total denial. Total denial that I’m pushing towards forty. FORTY?! Argh even the word makes me shiver.

I’m sure there are some bloggers out there in this huge, awesome community who feel the same as me. Isn’t there? Please say there is! Drop me a comment. Let me know. Let’s be in denial together.

Thanks for reading.

jaki (2)

Mummascribbles

My Random Musings
Cuddle Fairy
A Mum Track Mind

1. Morgan Prince
    10th May 2016 / 8:12 pm

I wouldn’t say I’m in denial, more like disbelief. I turned 35 in January and I’m now starting to “feel” my age. I’m one of the youngest in my extended family (the Hubby’s side) and it feels kind of weird. I have two younger sisters. I’ve always had an “old head on my shoulders” and find it easier to talk to older people.

I totally agree with you though, I’ve started to notice a lot of the people I talk to are younger than me. They’re about to have their second child or are chatting about the good old days (meaning the 2000’s!!). Like you I’m surprised to work out that my favourite songs are more than 20 years old and my next milestone birthday is 40. I didn’t see that one coming I have to say. I know it’s still 5 years away but, boy, that’s a biggie.

Great post hun. I think you’re looking pretty good for your age! πŸ˜‰
    #twinklytuesday

• 10th May 2016 / 8:26 pm

Ha ha! Thanks so much! I really appreciate the comments. I can remember everyone telling me how great the thirties were & they’re not wrong at all. I just can’t understand how I’ve been in them so long already. Thanks for sharing too πŸ™‚

2. 10th May 2016 / 9:57 pm

I have moments like that and I have a few more years on you! When people say they’re too old for this or that, I worry as I still do all those things and wonder if I should stop … Then I think, “Nah!”

• 10th May 2016 / 10:34 pm

I like your thinking! You’re as young as you feel – so I think I’m doing okay! πŸ™‚ Thanks for reading and commenting.

3. 11th May 2016 / 8:00 pm

I’m definitely suffering with T.A.D, in fact it might even be E.T.A.D (extreme total age denial) after reading this post. I’m 42, arrrrghhhhh how the hell did that happen? I still feel and act like I’m 22! It’s only now a days I’m starting to feel it, given I had my son late, he’s 3.5 yo and I always forget my other mummy friends are all spring chickens, I think we’re all the same age, so definitely suffering from E.T.A.D #BloggerClubUK

• 11th May 2016 / 8:25 pm

Ah our little ones are a similar age. Mines 3.5 next month. Thanks so much for sharing the post it’s really appreciated.

4. carolcliffe
    11th May 2016 / 10:29 pm

I’m almost 10 years on from you, but can still kind of identify, especially with the music which slaps you around the face in a ‘that was 20 years ago’ kind of way! When I was in my early-mid 30’s my biological clock was going mad and I was panicked about settling down and having kids befoe it was ‘too late’ – now I look back and think I was so young, what was I worrying about. NOW I’m old!!

• 11th May 2016 / 11:24 pm

Ahhh that’s reassuring to read because I keep thinking about the ‘clock’!
      Thanks for commenting, really appreciated! πŸ™‚

5. carolcliffe
    11th May 2016 / 10:30 pm

Oops forgot to say, came over from #AnythingGoes

6. 12th May 2016 / 12:27 pm

I totally relate to your post. I’m 34. I am also the youngest in the family. I am also happier with my eyebrows now (I plucked them to oblivion until I was about 26). I don’t feel like a ‘grown-up’, I’m just pretending to be one πŸ˜‰

• 14th May 2016 / 10:37 pm

Love this. What was with the thin eyebrows 8 years ago?! πŸ˜† thanks for commenting.

7. randommusings29
    13th May 2016 / 4:30 pm

I work in a pub and the other week I had to check someone’s ID and found he was born in the year I left senior school. My initial reaction was “so, you’re about ten then!”. Nope. When I worked it out, he was in fact 18. Only just but still! Talk about a reality check lol
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes
    Debbie

• 14th May 2016 / 10:35 pm

Oh bless you! But I can relate! I worked out the other day it’s actually 19 years since I left school. But it can’t be?!!? 😩 Thanks for commenting.

8. 14th May 2016 / 10:14 pm

I have this condition! I know why – it’s because I can’t cope with the idea of ageing! #anythinggoes

• 14th May 2016 / 10:33 pm

Hahaha. I am definitely not alone in this!

9. 14th May 2016 / 11:23 pm

Right there with you. I’m 34 this year and, in my office, that qualifies me as the old person. If there’s anything remotely retro in the news, they ask me about it as – clearly – I am the expert on all things olden days! Time to invest in some anti-ageing serums methinksπŸ˜‰ #fortheloveofBLOG

• 14th May 2016 / 11:32 pm

Awww. We are so ancient!! If you find one that really really works, please let me know! I’ve not even thought about it until recently, because clearlt I’m still mid-twenties in my head! Thanks for commenting.

10. 16th May 2016 / 9:43 pm

God yes – I’m in total denial – it was my Birthday this weekend and I think I’m now officially late 30s – arghhhh – how did that happen?! If I think too hard about it I begin to think I’m too old to have one year old twins, I always planned to be a young mum! The years fly by – we must try and appreciate every moment!

11. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    17th May 2016 / 10:23 am

I hear ya – I turned 37 this year after thinking I was turning 36! Where did the time go!? At 21 I thought 40 was old. Yikes! You look amazing – even better now than in your 20’s! Thanks so much for linking up with #bloggerclubuk

• 17th May 2016 / 6:45 pm

Aw bless ya! Thanks so much. Nice ego boost there. Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

12. 19th May 2016 / 5:19 pm

You don’t look a day over 30 lovely! I think I too have T.A.D – I like the new name for it. I’m 32, but I think how on earth did I get here, sometimes I even have to think how old I am. It frightens me how quickly time is flying past, when I think how long I’ve been in my current job or how long it was since I left uni, or even how old my baby is now. Like you I’m going to stay in this state of T.A.D staying happy, and feeling young – I think that’s the key to feel young at heart. Thanks so much for linking up another post at #fortheloveofBLOG, be lovely to have you join us next week. Claire x

• 19th May 2016 / 5:46 pm

Young at heart and mind is definitely the way forward! Thanks so much for commenting πŸ™‚ x

13. 22nd May 2016 / 10:11 pm

I’m 37 this year and I honestly have no idea where the time has went – I’m sure I was 23 about twenty minutes ago!

14. ravenswingthog
    23rd May 2016 / 9:58 pm

It’s absolutely bizarre – I’m 34 in a couple of months, I think the only thing I wish is that I had the confidence I have now ten years ago, at the minute I’m 100% up for going and travelling, and I can’t do that now because I’m settled with a house, wife & kid (who are both absolutely awesome and I wouldn’t dream of being without – but I wish when I had been in my early 20s I would have gone travelling and done all that!)

• 23rd May 2016 / 10:48 pm

Haha I know what you mean! It’s the old ‘If I knew then what I know now’ syndrome! πŸ™‚